• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Recreational slow, draggy, solar ever-flying bi-plane: Is it possible ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtrip

Hello people!

This is Dimitris from Greece. The device described in the title, annoys me as a recurring dream for a couple weeks now.
Therefore I turn to you for a cure!
smile%20happy.gif

What power would a very slow biplane require to sustain level flight ? (single seat)

CALCULATIONS:
The glider + pilot = 120 kg weight ( = 264 lbs)
Wing area of 20 m2 ( = 215 sq feet)
Wing loading = 6 kg / m2 (similar than a hang-glider)

Now if we lay this area with PV (photovoltaic cells), we can get power of about 150 Watt * 20 m2 = 3000 Watts.

Also, with the addition of a small battery, we could utilize a more powerful motor (say 5000 Watts) for limited time.
(e.g. for takeoff needs). But we can not count on such power on the long run. The average must be 3000 Watts.

Are 3000 Watts enough ? Or some other suggestion ? I am interested in a relaxing slow flyer, not the sailplane low-drag
type, which has already been done years ago.

Thanks for reading, waiting for your reply, thanks

Back