• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Recovering my Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Fisher

Supporting Member
I know it is not a home built but it is what I am working on and I expect that some would like to see this work.
First some history about my Cub and I. In the winter of1969 I had flown off the 40 hours on my first airplane Low Slow Joe. At that time my new game on Sundays was to go out and find coyote hunters. When I would spot a coyote I would circle him so the hunters could keep track of him. When I would get cold I would land on a road and get in a pickup and warm up. The third Sunday the group I was with offered me a CB so we could communicate. The next Sunday they asked how much an airplane like that would cost that would carry 2 people. I told them about $2000. Charley Martin said he new where one was if it was something we could use he would buy it. So I met him back at the airport and we drove out to one of his neighbors farms and there was a farm building full of irrigation pipe with this Cub hiding in there. I looked at as best I could where it was and asked the owner if he had the log books .Holley cow it was even in annual. Charley asked owner much. And he said $1800. Charley said Ill take it. We went to Charley's house and brought back his 3 high school sons and started moving irrigation pipe. Shoveled some snow use a pick up to make tracks in the snow for a runway and just as the sun set I took off for the airport 10 miles away.
We would spent Sundays hunting coyotes Charley or one of the boys would ride in the front seat when we would see a coyote we would open the door and start blasting. The rest of that winter and the next we never actually hit a coyote. But we sure had fun and Charleys family all try ed taking flying lessons. Most of the time the Cub was just mine to fly and I had a lot of fun with it.
In June of 1972 I met Diann my wife and I took her to Derands Sky Ranch to the EAA chap.80 pick nick for our first date in the Cub. We were married June 2nd 1973. In 1974 We bought the Cub from Charley for what he gave for it.
In 1979 I recovered the fuselage and in 1980 I recovered the wings. I used it for instructing at Crete Nebraska,Washington,Mo and here in Kansas until October1993 when the engine broke a valve and pretty much ruined the engine. I couldn't afford to fix the engine so it has been siting ever since. Well now I am retired and I can fix it.
Last fall we were out flying R/C and my 7 year old Grand Daughter asked when can I go up.
I was just going to build an engine out of the stuff I have here but when I tried testing the fabric I derided it would pass for now but I would like to have it flying for at least 10 years so here I go.DSC00226.jpgDSC00226.jpgDSC00224.jpgDSC00228.jpg
Oh well now you see what it looked like when I started. I am using a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove the old epoxy and primer then I will sand blast. The sand blast will get what I can't with the wire brush it also created a ruff surface that will hold the primer. I will use Zink Phosphate primer then over coat with epoxy. '

Back