• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Recommended reading for a Frankenplane project?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

Today I was out at a friend’s hangar and in conversation a project we’ve wanted to do for a while came up. That project is the restoration/recreation of a one-off homebuilt for which no drawings survive. What we do have are the wings and the rudder from the original and a small number of photos. One of the big hang-ups over the years has been figuring out what to do for a fuselage. I mentioned today that I had gone so far as to look for similar planes in the past that we could just modify but none quite fit the bill as far as configuration went. That’s when a light bulb went on for him and he mentioned a nearly finished steel tube fuselage he had in the next hangar over for a rather homely homebuilt he’d never finish that just might work on this.

I’d like to take a look at the feasibility of putting the wings from one plane on the fuselage of another, probably with the horizontal tail of a third. This *should* work without much fuss, I imagine all the parts being adapted are at least as strong as needed and similar projects laid the foundation of modern homebuilding. Knowing that, what’s the best book for me to pick up to be 100% confident in this thing?

Back