Recommendation for shop

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by aircraftbuilder, Aug 2, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 2, 2019 #1

aircraftbuilder

aircraftbuilder

aircraftbuilder

I have a 0 time Hapi 1835 that was overhauled many years ago by the Eaa I was told.
    Planning to use it for my Double Eagle project.
    But before that I would like to have it inspected to make sure it is airworthy.
    Any shop recommendation?
    Thanks

2. Aug 3, 2019 #2

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I would at least consider the opposite approach. You really want to get to know your engine well. I would look up a local EAA chapter and see if someone has experience here and see if you could do it together.

gtae07 likes this.
  3. Aug 3, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

DIY with help is your best bet. You can send it probably to Castler, but he tends to be booked. Most of the time you will have to fix it yourself anyway, which is the point of owning a VW. Find a nice old crusty manual and start looking at it. Don’t buy a new one unless it’s a reprint. My main library has lots of good ones; yours probably does too. Keep everything orderly, don’t mix parts even if they are the same. If you want to check the crank and rods for cracks, you should be able to take them to a local machine shop for magnafluxing. There is probably 50ish parts in the whole thing, except bolts, and most are duplicates. It’s pretty simple as is inspecting the parts. You should be fine. Much easier that building an airplane from scratch. If you could find a stack of old VW car magazines from the 70-80s, that’s some gold. Main library again.

4. Aug 3, 2019 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

A search for “building a vw aircraft engine video” results in numerous “how to” videos. Even if you don’t inspect/rebuild it yourself, the videos may provide useful information. (They would for this non-engine guy.)

BJC

5. Aug 4, 2019 #5

aircraftbuilder

aircraftbuilder

aircraftbuilder

I also bought the "http://www.bugmevideo.com/volume3.html" and downloaded few videos.
    I will have to have some wrench dual before I go it alone on my engine. I think it will be safer.
    Thank you for the feedback.

6. Aug 4, 2019 #6

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

Attend your local EAA club meeting and see if there are any knowledgeable people there that might lend a hand.
    Get whatever books you can find on the Hapi or similar engines, and check for info on Utube.

You need to get to the point of being able to work on your own engine, but I wouldn't start blindly disassembling the engine by yourself. There are things about engines which look the same, but must not be interchanged or turned the wrong way when reinstalled......so when an engine is disassembled it is critical that some components be marked or identified as to location and orientation. Failure to do so when disassembling can be disasterous later. It's not hard to learn, but don't just plunge in without help or at least familiarizing yourself with proper disassembly needs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019