• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Real World engine options, but still on a tight budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timstertimster

My feelings about used engines are the same as with used computers and cars. Might get lucky, but you have no idea how the engine was maintained, if anything undesirable has happened, etc...

I'm researching options for a UL bush plane, something like a cub or highlander, and would need decent climb rate, decent power for takeoff, a reasonably fast cruise, and most importantly: a power plant that can take the abuse that comes from flying in a variety of climates. A workhorse.

So, yea, I could spring for a rotax 914, but man, $30k is a lot of cash. D motor L26 and ULPower 260i is my currently narrowed set of options.

Are there other ones that would be contenders?

Back