• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Real new newbie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stirling

Hello all, I've been reading through the board, and figured I'd throw out some questions of my own. First I suppose, an introduction. My name is Stirling, I live in Hutchinson, Kansas (45 minutes north of Wichita)... 24 years old, in college, a mechanical engineering major. The only flight experience I have is a friend of my grandfather took me up in thier crop duster and he let me take over the controls for a little while. I got hooked.

So, here we go:

1. I'm undecided on which kit, or plan I want to use... What I want in a plane would be, solid smooth controls, rugged, ability to take off and land on grass strips. I'm not looking for an aerobatics plane. Low and slow is my style. I'm thinking two place is plenty... I'm pretty sure there aren't many people who'd want to fly with me, but there's a chance. I'm pretty much decided on a monoplane, don't know which configuration though. What are the pros/cons of high-wing, mid-wing, low-wing configurations? I'm pretty set on making a "spam can", I can't help but really love the rivets. Besides, it'd be cool to have two vehicles covered in aluminum (check my website). Anyhow, any places to start looking?

2. I may not have the skills required, but I'm really excited to learn. I really enjoy fixing and creating things... (again, look at my website :D ). This will be a long term project and I completely understand that. I'm taking a "ground school" class this semester that my school offers. Hope to find someone local to take me out for lessons. What does that generally cost per hour? $50-60?? I'm thinking a regular old private pilots license... or are there alternatives? What's the deal with this "sport license" I read about somewhere?

3. Anyone live near me? I'd like to hang out in the garage, and fetch tools, try to learn something if possible.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. Stirling

Back