The pilot. Youra. DEADDUK seems to like it ok...lol

Attachments

• 20220824_191103.jpg
    20220824_191103.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 0

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
The new prop should be same as old prop to start from. Then if the static rpm of the old was incorrect, make a new prop to fit the desired manufacturer static full throttle rpm. More pitch or diameter will decrease rpm and power.

Martti Mattila

Oh boy, in my youth we had to carve our rubberband propps from balsa, that teaches something. Now doing props for VW.s and Rotaxies. There is a plenty videos about prop making in ytube but learn to balancing that is important. Propmaking is the skill what is worth to learn, after that you dont have time for anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    704.3 KB · Views: 0

TFF

My dad could carve a pretty balsa prop. And I could break them. I wish I had one now.

If you have a duplicator you are going to have to carve your pattern. There are plenty of how to carve props you can Google. Essentially you mark the leading edge and trialing. There is simple math to figure out there the lines go for pitch. Then you whittle. It’s not going to be a one and done. Five and done maybe. Prop aerodynamics is finicky because they move fast. The cool thing about carving your own, you can make a cool scale display prop for the pits.

billj

My direction now is to build a prop using styro or home builders foam sheet insulation...get everything
Where it needs on the sample.
Cover and glass sample..
Duplicate sample in wood..

I've watched lots of you tube. The marking and precisely shaping of the airfoil is still a little illusive .

I think the foam plan will work..unlike wood..you can add back.

Appowner

I did look - 49” diameter is the small end of ultralight props, although powered parachutes do go a little smaller. I was not trying to discourage you, just putting out the caution that, as terrific as this bunch is, it might not be the help you need…
As a modeler I just want to say the bunch here are far and away smarter and nicer than most you find on the dedicated model forums. Good crew here!

Appowner

Just a thought but have you considered building the dummy prop like a wing? Ribs etc to get the profile right? Fill with foam and shape then glass? And since you have a duplicator you really only need one blade and dup it for both of the real ones. Or am I talking through my hat? :)

flitzerpilot

Thanks for the hat-tipping, VB.

Even though the standard Z-21 spans only 18', it somehow looks bigger! The prototype is also red, :0) like that super Fokker DR.1 at 65% scale on here.

Of course the Goblins at 16'10" span and about 13' long are the smallest practical Flitzers imv. Here's a picture combining both!

Attachments

• Schwerin Schloss am See image2 (1).JPG
    Schwerin Schloss am See image2 (1).JPG
    884.6 KB · Views: 0

billj

Just a thought but have you considered building the dummy prop like a wing? Ribs etc to get the profile right? Fill with foam and shape then glass? And since you have a duplicator you really only need one blade and dup it for both of the real ones. Or am I talking through my hat? :)
Exactly the direction I'm going..I can mess alot with foam..plus you have the benefit of filling mistakes.. I'm going to experiment there with the
"new" design . Alot faster too.

Tiger Tim

How much is left of your broken prop? If you can piece together one whole blade I’d be tempted to do that, then cut the blade off the hub and reattach at the coarser pitch you’re looking for*. Smooth out the join then use it as a pattern in your duplicator. Test fly that and if you like the performance you can carve a more elegant master to the new pitch.

*before someone drops in with an, “Um, actually,” I’m aware that this method won’t produce a perfectly helical pitch distribution. We may not even want perfectly helical for peak efficiency anyways.

billj

I have a 100% blade to duplicate...but test running before the mishap indicates it will probably fly but will be a little " light"
So copying the original is first work.Bolt to the duplicator and learn.
Second blade will be a totally different
Education...lol