RC Pilot journeying to a full-scale pilot from NC

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Luscombes are great teachers; shame that few if any are available as trainer a/c. I moved on to homebuilts to reduce maintenance overhead (mostly because most homebuilts aren't as old, and any A&P can do the annual), and to get increased speed (larger hamburger run radius).

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
As others have pointed out, buying a used or partially completed homebuilt is almost always significantly cheaper than starting from scratch.

A new IFR capable 4 seater will almost certainly cost north of $100K to build, and there are few out there. Used, probably not much different as there are so few out there. Certified, likely cheaper as there are a lot of older 172s, Cherokees, and the like out there, and some (but by no means all!) are IFR. And there will be many times when even an instrument rating won’t get you through bad weather if there’s convective activity or it’s below minimums… or even above minimums; if you don’t fly IFR regularly than your personal minimums may (should be!) higher than the legal minimums.

A 2 seat fun plane combined with renting or clubbing a 4 seat traveling machine works for some people, but availability can be an issue if several people want the plane for the weekend. Some clubs are great, with a bunch of pilots who rarely fly, but others are more problematic.

FoamyDM

As others have pointed out, buying a used or partially completed homebuilt is almost always significantly cheaper than starting from scratch.

A new IFR capable 4 seater will almost certainly cost north of $100K to build, and there are few out there. Used, probably not much different as there are so few out there. Certified, likely cheaper as there are a lot of older 172s, Cherokees, and the like out there, and some (but by no means all!) are IFR. And there will be many times when even an instrument rating won’t get you through bad weather if there’s convective activity or it’s below minimums… or even above minimums; if you don’t fly IFR regularly than your personal minimums may (should be!) higher than the legal minimums.

A 2 seat fun plane combined with renting or clubbing a 4 seat traveling machine works for some people, but availability can be an issue if several people want the plane for the weekend. Some clubs are great, with a bunch of pilots who rarely fly, but others are more problematic.
I have notice the price difference, I assume it is because you are inheriting unknown craftsmanship. I agree that personal limits should be within legal mins. thank you for the warning on clubs... I figure it's like timeshares. not always a great fit. Thank you for the advice.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have notice the price difference, I assume it is because you are inheriting unknown craftsmanship.
Not really... well, sometimes. But if you buy a flying airplane with a couple hundred hours on it (as I've done several times) your have some confidence it'll stick together.

Last edited:

pwood66889

"coincidence it'll stick together."
??? Confidence ???
Not to worry, Dana. I consulted with a person who's card said they were a "therapit" instead of "therapist."
Now I do grant that there are some airplanes that hold together by coincidence... May have owned one or two!
You have a good point though.
Yeah, it is a dull night in front of the computer.
Highest regards, Percy