• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Razorback Freewing progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I have decided to create a dedicated thread to chronicle my design/build progress. First off, I have decided to revert to an earlier name for my project: The Razorback. And since it incorporates a freewing design, I've named this thread accordingly.

Some history:
I got my PPL three years ago, and decided to build my own plane, rather than pay out good money to rent one every time I wished to go flying.

At first, I thought I'd build a kit. I got the plans for a Sonex, and started that. Only to discover that I didn't much care for working with Aluminum. So I stored the plans, and got a set of KR2 plans. Wood might be more my style. I decided after a few months that I didn't much care for the design, so those plans also went into storage.

Now I was in a quandary: My knowledge of existing kit planes was fairly minimal (even though I spent a lot of time on the Web looking for them). I decided to have a go and design one of my own - after all, how difficult could it be? I was urged into this mindset in part (to be honest) by the fact that I was broke, and if I was busy at the design-board, I wasn't spending money, but I was working on my plane. Having more time than cash, I set to it. The other half of my motivation was that I had discovered gyros in a major way, and had to have one. Have you checked out gyros lately? They're nearly all of them pig-ugly flying things. I was sure I could do better...

The first attempts were so embarrassing I try to put them out of memory. At the time I was extraordinarily pleased with them. So I have drawings of them safely locked away in the workshop, but they are not for the faint-hearted...

Sketch 1:
The first sketch is my very first freehand back-of-an-envelope design, done over a few beers one rainy afternoon in the pub. These are the scrawlings which got me started.

Sketch 2:
The second followed soon after, when I discovered tractor gyros via Tervamaki's web site. I had also discovered SketchUp.

Sketch 3:
This is Don Shoebridge's rendering of my 2nd sketch into 3-D

By this time, I figured I was ready to start building. Note - I didn't really have a clue where I was going. I figured if it looked OK, it would fly OK.

Build attempt #1 was the tractor configuration above, glass over wooden superstructure (1st picture, 2nd row). The next picture along is me in the workshop shaping foam with the curve of a cross-cut saw - quite effective, really. This build attempt
lasted long enough for me to spot that the frame I was building it on had warped, and I could not unwarp it.

Build attempt #2 Was out of aluminum tube. A pusher design with an overhad tail. All was proceeding great (I even overcame some of my reluctance to working with aluminum) - until I discovered that I could not sufficiently triangulate the fuse without having aluminum tubes pass directly through the engine!

Duncan

Attachments

• rtfm-tgs-yellow3.jpg
    rtfm-tgs-yellow3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 395
  • rtfm_shoebridge1.jpg
    rtfm_shoebridge1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,672
  • razorbackPlug1.jpg
    razorbackPlug1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_0117.jpg