Razorback Fabric?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by toweym, Dec 29, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1

toweym

toweym

toweym

Anyone used this stuff? I've not yet covered an airplane but A&P friend swears by it. He gave me some dated contact information and they have yet to return a message (holidays?) but what do you think? What brand dopes did you use? Would you use it again? Any tips? Absolutely no info on the web that I can find.

Thanks and happy new year

mt
    111M

2. Jan 8, 2007 #2

JimC

JimC

JimC

There are 4 planes covered with it on the airstrip I fly out of. Sam (owner of Razorback) went bankrupt about a decade ago while in the process of covering one of those planes, and some of the parts didn't make it back when we picked up the pieces and brought them home. Not a pleasant experience, though Sam is a very likeable person and is quite knowledgable about aircraft restoration.

The Razorback fabric is fiberglass, quite strong and doesn't have to be punch tested. It is pretty heavy and will add weight as compared to other covering materials. It is installed like grade A cotton, and with the same rib stitching, butyrate dope, finishes, etc. After about 35 years on a plane, if the dope starts to lose its plasticity, the Razorback cloth will split anywhere the dope cracks. Standard patching techniques can be used to fix that. If you are over 40 when you install it, it will probably last the rest of your flying career (or, until mice eat the rib stitching).

3. Jan 8, 2007 #3

JimC

JimC

JimC

The latest contact info I can find is:
    Robert T. Little
    Razorback Fabrics, Inc.
    2179 Elmont Road
    Maynard, AR 72444-9688
    870-647-2622
    razorbac@tcac.net

I don't know if the information above is current, and it sounds like Sam may not be associated with the product now, though I don't know that to be the case.

4. Jan 12, 2007 #4

toweym

toweym

toweym

Thanks for the help. I have written and left messages with neither returned. Like the idea of no shrinking, no punch tests, etc. but the lack of support is not encouraging.

5. Jan 12, 2007 #5

JimC

JimC

JimC

There are several other covering processes that are lighter weight, just as durable, and more accessible.

6. Jan 12, 2007 #6

toweym

toweym

toweym

I'm restoring a Cassutt and am about 4-6 weeks from covering. What do you suggest?

7. Jan 12, 2007 #7

Craig

Craig

Craig

Covering

Personally, I highly recommend Polyfiber for attaching and filling the fabric (Poly-Tack and Poly Brush), then going with Loehle's paint. Really supurb finish.

Brush on the first coat of polybrush, to fill the fabric weave and give a good base, then spary on one good cross-coat of the same. Then start with Loehle's black, then white, then color. The clear is very optional - chances are you will decide you don't need it.

Do a good job on the rib stitching - doesn't take near as long as you think it will.

8. Jan 12, 2007 #8

jgnunn

jgnunn

jgnunn

i bet you already know deep down your'e not going to take that route....\

another option that is stitchless is Hipec, do a search on this forum or google...interesting stuff..

9. Apr 28, 2010 #9

haphogan

haphogan

haphogan

Loehle paint. I,m not familiar with this process. Where doI find the info:ban::):)