Quantcast

Ray Stits, RIP

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Though sharp to the end (at least last I saw him), I was afraid this time was coming because he had been looking progressively more frail as of late. I will definitely miss him and our long conversations.

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
He was another of those legendary personalities that I always wanted to meet. A real innovator and contributor to aviation - not to mention the "father" of the RV line.

Riggerrob

Bummer!
Another great homebuilder passes on.
We only met once, at a Chapter One meeting at Flabob Airport, but Ray insisted on passing on practical advice to test-pilots.

Bleu skies,

don january

Log Member
I never had the honor to meet Ray but My father spent time with him and his name will forever be in our house hold. RIP

Rockiedog2

I remember when the Stits covering line was new...the old timers at the airport wouldn't use it. Set in their ways...no way they were gonna use anything but cotton and dope. They had a duster business and used Stearmans and Cubs and were always recovering at least one every winter. After the Stits line started getting some good press they got a little interested; enough to start looking into it. Finally decided to "take a chance" and recovered a Stearman with it. They never looked back...die hard Stits fans from then on. They got me on it in the late 70s I think it was. It's all I've ever used. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

For the younguns the Stits line is now Polyfiber.

SVSUSteve

Ray was great guy on a personal and professional level. He was fascinating to talk to although I hadn't had the chance to do so for several years. He was also very kind to me. Back in 1999, I sprained my ankle on the first day of Oshkosh* and as I was gimping my way back from my car to the campsite on crutches, this golf cart pulls up and I hear a voice go "Son, do you need a lift?". That's how I met Ray. Every time I saw him after that over the years, he always started with "Stephen! How's the ankle treating you?". I'll miss him.

*- The first of three times I've been hurt at Oshkosh. Two sprained ankles and getting clipped by a teenager zipping around on a golf cart.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
It's sad to see him go, but 93 is a good run in anybody's book. Blue skies, Ray!

It's too bad that none of his homebuilt plans are available anymore, not the record-breakers but the practical ones: Flut-R-Bug, Executive, Playboy, Playmate, Skycoupe and all their variations.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
[video]http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=4289196804001[/video]