Raptor NG Discussion

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

WINGITIS

As mentioned in the documentation and that I added on the bottom of the spreadsheet, they were 5 Prop blades and 6 Stators.

So conforming to what KIWI303 sais about reduced noise.

Hephaestus

As mentioned in the documentation and that I added on the bottom of the spreadsheet, they were 5 Prop blades and 6 Stators.

So conforming to what KIWI303 sais about reduced noise.
Yes I keep forgetting it was a turbine project originally.
The 71X flew with one of the Lycoming piston engines and a 4- bladed wood propeller.
is on the fraser page 2 right above those sheets - guessing they're for that version not a lycoming version?

rohr-LS3.png

Not terribly surprising - but LS3 fits in there nicely. But we kind of knew it would roughly. Looks like about a 8" prop extension with the marcotte, if the drawing I ran across on google is anywhere near correct.

mm4440

Electric drive will not be as efficient as gears and shafts. Most likely, more weight and cost, too. So dumb, unless a special application like modest power tip motor/generators. Most of the "Electric Cool-Aid" projects are investor scams. Recreational psychedelics is the future of flight.

Fake jet design is a real challenge. The fan(s) are limited in diameter and the desire for high performance leads to high HP, weighty engines and unfortunately decreasing thrust per HP. Hats off to the developers of a pseudo-jet with reasonable performance. Seaplanes might use ducted props to advantage.

LSD 25, The Stairway to Heaven

JMyers1

What if he put one of these in there? Allison Model 250 - Wikipedia

Would be enough to get him airborne and tell us how the production version will go more than 100 mph once he removes the ducted fans (that was just an experiment anyways) and throws a pusher prop on it. Like the velocity, but more expensive and less fuel efficient.

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Electric drive will not be as efficient as gears and shafts. Most likely, more weight and cost, too. So dumb, unless a special application like modest power tip motor/generators. Most of the "Electric Cool-Aid" projects are investor scams. Recreational psychedelics is the future of flight.

Fake jet design is a real challenge. The fan(s) are limited in diameter and the desire for high performance leads to high HP, weighty engines and unfortunately decreasing thrust per HP. Hats off to the developers of a pseudo-jet with reasonable performance. Seaplanes might use ducted props to advantage.

LSD 25, The Stairway to Heaven
I did a weight analysis of a 400hp class hybrid/ electric fan setup including a 50KWh battery pack and it weighs roughly 1000 pounds more than a TSIO-540 with propeller. This will also come nowhere close in speed to the Lycoming setup. Static thrust is less and the fan efficiency is really low above 200 knots.

JMyers1

He could have done that to the first one, claimed a diesel version was under development and flown until he retires without ever producing anything.
”We‘ve improved this design by putting a turbocharger in front of the compressor, which should bring efficiency in line with the cheaper diesel we will be replacing this with”.

Darnpilot

Not going to wade through the topic (again), but I saw this Youtube video and was reminded of the Raptor NG...has this been seen and/or discussed?

Just FYI

jd

henryk

Rataplan

Some observations.
1) a negative relation between quality 3D animations multiplied with years before the real thing exist and actual performance and actual production.
"Game changers" and alike used words seems to bring bad luck.

Observations of many projects, not only PM's .

remarkable is the low quality of Raptor NG 's animation.
seems in this case the project just silently disappears.