Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

narfi

I really dont think there is a shortage of people who would love an aircraft the size and comfort of a mini van inside, the speed of a lancair propjet IVP, with the fuel burn and landing characteristics/requirements of a supercub.

It wont happen, but it would be silly to claim those are not 'wants'.

pictsidhe

Peter will ask 7 figures for the project. He'll need to fund some really good plastic surgery to escape 134 unhappy investors who know exactly what he looks like.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Sounds like he is planning to lift the nose off before Saturday. Under deceleration, but that's still a major flight risk.

FarmBoy

I believe he is trying to answer concerns put out from this thread in that last video.
Except for the EGT concerns which he still says are fine, even up to 1900-2000F! Apparently addressed by his sensor location. o_O
Depending on sensor response time, an aggregate could potentially read higher than a single cylinder sensor would, however, the distance from the cylinders will also make that sensor response lower than if it was closer (e.g. one aggregate on each manifold right where they converge). In any case his EGT reading is unlikely to be appreciably higher than an actual per cylinder EGT sensor would indicate. And there is still smoke at a lower fuel flow (not surprising as it really goes with the EGTs).

TarDevil

I'm a little concerned with the re-drive. The belt moving out of center of the pulley is symptomatic of a bigger problem, not the ring falling off.
Indeed. Ross has been telling Peter for ages. It's an ill-conceived design. This is the third or fourth issue overall, the second I remember specifically of the belt migrating off the pulley.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Do they normally retract the gear on first climb out?
I was thinking the gear could be fixed down and the holes taped up for first flight. Or just taped up but still possible to retract enough for a belly landing if needed.

Last edited:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
He wedged the tow bar against it to demonstrate he has around 1/2" of free play in the aileron control system. Which naturally is just fine.