Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Did anybody else catch his reply to somebody asking about Pic's Aileron Shimmy Syndrome (which I think deserves an acronym PASS)? He said he did what he could months ago and what he has now is what he's going with. The cliche 'You couldn't make this stuff up' is so apt.
That's funny.

flyboy2160

I've had much more concern about PASS than about the nose wheel shimmy. He's using a Lancair strut, so all he had to do was follow the Lancair instructions to get it to work. I made a snarky remark earlier 'Where's the manual for fixing the aileron shimmy?'

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I think that this at it's core is a viable project. It is raising some concerns and I hope no one is injured and that the project survives. I think it is interesting and look forward to watching it progress. Maybe doing shimmy test's is a method of slowing things down? Satisfying constituents that he is doing something while he mulls over other concerns.

pictsidhe

Did anybody else catch his reply to somebody asking about Pic's Aileron Shimmy Syndrome (which I think deserves an acronym PASS)? He said he did what he could months ago and what he has now is what he's going with. The cliche 'You couldn't make this stuff up' is so apt.
Yes, I may even have replied.

pictsidhe

I don't know whether the airframe could be used. We don't know what horrors are under the skin. It's quite possible that Jeff does, but he is staying silent. The ailerons are a suggestion that it may not be pretty. It is possible that many of the existing moulds could be used to build a Mk2, with structural fixes. The FWB needs to be completely redone, probably replaced if Peter runs it until it blows. I think that the Audi engine does have potential as an aircraft engine. I do not think that Peter has any idea how to convert it into one. He appears to have reduced the power from standard while sending BSFC and EGT through the roof in his efforts to increase power. The redrive is poorly conceived and I cannot see it lasting long.

Peter's performance numbers are pure fantasy. If a competent person were to take this project over, those figures would be the first thing thrown out the window. That will seriosuly detract from it's appeal. Along with a big price rise due to that nasty reality intervening again, it's not going to be a hot seller.

RSD

I'm new to these forums and the whole Raptor thing - but I'm quickly forming the opinion that this thing is like a train wreck where you know that you want to turn your head away but you are hanging out for the next youtube episode...

flyboy2160

I'm new to these forums and the whole Raptor thing - but I'm quickly forming the opinion that this thing is like a train wreck where you know that you want to turn your head away but you are hanging out for the next youtube episode...
Yup. You get addicted to watching to see what! will! happen! in! the! next! episode! and then come here for another fix. It's great entertainment. I posited that he should have sold the rights for the build filming to the Discovery Channel as the basis of a reality TV show like Deadliest Catch or Gold Rush. (Although the latter is fake / scripted.)

flyboy2160

...He's so deep into this airframe, necessary corrections are virtually beyond economic feasibility.....
I think his only hope is attracting a Paul Allen-like Sugar Daddy before he has a major failure. Say, an IT/web weenie who is swayed by the slick website and outrageous claims.

I'm surprised he hasn't started playing the Green Electric STOL AutoFly cards for a future variant.

pictsidhe

I think his only hope is attracting a Paul Allen-like Sugar Daddy before he has a major failure. Say, an IT/web weenie who is swayed by the slick website and outrageous claims.

I'm surprised he hasn't started playing the Green Electric STOL AutoFly cards for a future variant.
Throwing more money at it won't help. A new project manager is needed for any hope of it working. Someone who can either do the engineering, or is willing to use people that can. I think that this is now dawning on Peter as his ideas repeatedly turn out out not to work.

BJC

HBA Supporter

TarDevil

Am I being a bit dim, ???? but whats the difference between the Raptor and a Velocity ??? apart from the fact the Velocity is actually flying.
or have I missed something ?
5 seats
pressurization
AC
62 " wide cabin
Diesel power
Claims of super speeds @ flight levels on cups of fuel

And what BJC said.

They're both canards, similarities end there.

flywheel1935

A thought !!!! if the 'average homebuilder' wanted all of the above surely you would want the backing of a respected aircraft manufacturer ? such as Cessna/Piper/Cirrus etc.
Can't see who Peters market is ? If I wanted to go 1800miles at fl25 then I'd hire a Citation/learjet, not something built in a shed at the bottom of my garden

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
A thought !!!! if the 'average homebuilder' wanted all of the above surely you would want the backing of a respected aircraft manufacturer ? such as Cessna/Piper/Cirrus etc.
Can't see who Peters market is ? If I wanted to go 1800miles at fl25 then I'd hire a Citation/learjet, not something built in a shed at the bottom of my garden
There have been a fair number of very high-performance homebuilt designs over the years. Lancair IVP, Lancair Evolution, Swearington SX300, Questair Venture, Glasair III, Harmon Rocket, etc. Examples of all of these have been built at a level of quality that puts type-certificated aircraft to shame. Others, of a lesser quality. Most, somewhere in-between.

There seems to have long been a consistent demand for a high-performance long-range homebuilt, available at a price less than the "equivalent" type-certificated aircraft. It's not everyone's cup of tea. If Peter were to be successful with the Raptor, he'd likely sell quite a few, given the stated (but not realized) performance figures he's stating for the aircraft.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
whats the difference between the Raptor and a Velocity ???

Actually, the Raptor is twice the plane the Velocity is... at least in terms of weight. I think the numbers I’ve seen quoted here are 3144 lbs compared to 1300 lbs empty weight and 3600 lbs compared to 2300 lbs loaded. Notice that the Raptor’s empty weight means that it might be able to carry two people IF you leave the fuel and baggage on the ground.