Raptor Composite Aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Dexacare, Mar 28, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 16, 2019 #1701

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I don't think you understand what Peter intended to do by passing fuel through through one intercooler stage. He was trying reduce intake charge temperatures. This varies considerably compared with heating the fuel through a turbine engine oil cooler as is commonly done on production aircraft.

With the 7 to 1 PR required at FL250 and the turbos he's selected, the CDTs will exceed 400F easily. This coupled with the intake mass flow, represents a huge amount of energy to be dissipated. The fuel could reach critically high temperatures in the space of less than a couple of hours.

Don't consider comments here negative but rather a reality check on Peter's projections. We already know that his range and payload numbers can't be met because the aircraft is 1000-1200 pounds overweight. Something is gonna have to give in the TO, ROC and ceiling projections if he gets the payload back by raising the gross 1200 pounds more.

We also know that the TAS vs. fuel flow numbers are highly improbable for an aircraft with this wetted area.

These are inescapable facts.

I've watched every YT vid on Raptor and just finished talking to Jeff Kerlo 2 days ago at Reno who gave me a lot more insight into this project.

Do you have some technical details to add or discuss on this project which would put the previous discussions here on HBA in question?

BoKu and flyboy2160 like this.
  2. Sep 16, 2019 #1702

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

I'm not here to defend the guy; you've found the wrong guy for that, nor am I here to rewrite this thread. I simply made an observation and it's not really disputable now is it.

So, is he running the fuel through the intercooler then back to the tank/tanks or directly into the fuel system of the Audi engine?

I'm asking as I don't have the slightest idea.

3. Sep 16, 2019 #1703

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

By the way, welcome to HBA Rik. I hope you stick around and participate. We always welcome new member input.

Rik-, Topaz and rv6ejguy like this.
  4. Sep 16, 2019 #1704

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Note: Just deleted two posts that continued the off-topic sniping between members. PM's sent.

Tragically, this thread will be experiencing "technical difficulties" for precisely the next 48 hours. I have it on very good authority that it will reopen at that time. I'm quite sure everyone will be happy to just talk about Raptor once we somehow manage to overcome these unfortunate "technical difficulties" and the thread reopens.

Moderator Note: The thread is now back open.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. Sep 19, 2019 #1705

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

All right! I was having Raptor Thread Withdrawal Syndrome and was about to schedule therapy. T's Timeout, You're Grounded, Bad Kids Sit In The Corner remedy was the perfect punishment for some dubious behavior.

The shimmy continues. He's getting exactly contradictory advice on Youtube about how to fix it, including an admonition from a claimed aerospace engineer who says he shouldn't be using a gear intended for an engine mounted right over it with an engine mounted at the rear!

Turns out he used a positive rake that was different from what Lancair uses with the strut he has and he increased the tire size. Pazmany who?

BoKu and bmcj like this.
  6. Sep 19, 2019 #1706

BJC

BJC

BJC

You Tube, the Encyclopedia Brittanica of engineering knowledge.

BJC

bmcj and flyboy2160 like this.
  7. Sep 19, 2019 #1707

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

"Asking for a friend" ;) So.... Would a gas shock cure his problem? Does it just need more rake? I read one response it needed more or less weight on YT I believe, well that's not going to work as the plane has to lift off eventually (ideally) but given there is some amount of lift being generated at 40-60 mph (where the shakes seem to occur) lessening the load seems to lead to the shimmy's.

Looks like the entire assembly is shaking. Does it just need a more rigid attachment to the hull? Hell shopping carts shake sometimes and they are full of rake.

8. Sep 19, 2019 #1708

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

No, not even a couple of hours Ross. Some quick numbers suggest under half an hour with properly matched turbos and 300hp at angels two-five, with full fuel... I have a feeling that this is yet another of Peter's clever ideas that he did not do a mathematical sanity check on.

With 10 gallons for a quick pattern flight, he may have some serious structural issues after mere minutes. Aren't the rear walls of the tanks the main spar? The numbers I saw suggest that the intercooler is absorbing 29kW of heat at full power on the ground. I suspect that number is low as it was a very brief test...

9. Sep 19, 2019 #1709

Venom

Venom

Venom

I don't know if you remember Jim Bede's escapades from the early seventies, but he got a chunk of my money pullin' the same shenanigans that Peter is. Flyboy is absolutely and precisely correct in his evaluation of this mess. Go build whatever you want, no one cares. But do it with your own money and keep your mouth shut.

Having said that, I don't believe Peters extensive and time consuming participation in Youtube has anything to do with some desire on his part to be transparent. One would think the motive is revenue.

pictsidhe likes this.
  10. Sep 19, 2019 #1710

Venom

Venom

Venom

Since this is "Official" please allow me an "official" question.
    What is this..... "PC"?
    Why on earth does a criticism need to be constructive.
    Perhaps many readers do not like, appreciate, or want this project or person to succeed.
    That being the case, maybe a contributor would like to write a destructive criticism intended to harm the project.
    Why on earth is the owner or moderator of this forum intent on insuring criticism is upbeat and positive?
    What business is it of yours, provided you are immune from lawsuit?
    I want to read what people have to say and think RAW. Not what a moderator chooses for me to read.
    I guess that was three official questions....have at it.

11. Sep 19, 2019 #1711

BJC

BJC

BJC

12. Sep 19, 2019 #1712

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

What if, if, this guy is merely being transparent and showing his journey of his building his very own fat looking Velocity and nothing more?

Everyone is cheering for disaster but not one hater has risked a single $$ of their own on this project so speculation is rampant but facts are elusive as his success to date.

More power to the guy. I’ve got nothing in this other than the time on YT watching his progress occasionally. He’s to dry to watch his whole series.

What if he gets the wheel problem cured and then the **** thing flies the pattern and lands safely? A lot of members minds will explode if that could actually happen

Blue Chips, philg and flyrite like this.
  13. Sep 19, 2019 #1713

BJC

BJC

BJC

That is not the case. He is pursuing a commercial venture and has projected / claimed performance and price that are totally unrealistic.

Not all people here are cheering for disaster. Lots of facts are clearly evident in his videos. He get high credit for enthusiasm and effort, not so much for engineering and project management. At this stage, most of us are just hoping that no one gets hurt trying to fly the Raptor. (One fact: A highly experienced professional test pilot declined to fly the Raptor.)

That would be a successful first step that would need to be followed by many more. The Bugatti Racer replica had a successful first flight.

BJC

Venom likes this.
  14. Sep 19, 2019 #1714

Venom

Venom

Venom

I read it cover to cover although it wasn't necessary.
    They are all the same.
    My questions are not answered there, but you know that.

15. Sep 19, 2019 #1715

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I see that the troll is sucking everyone into a fight again.

He won the first round, lets try not to give him the second, too.

Personally, I dislike scammers. I'm not PC enough to ever pretend that I don't.

16. Sep 19, 2019 #1716

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

Well, the owners of this site don't want that.

I agree with them.

I'm sick of the immature, vicious name calling that dominates too many online forums. I was a moderator on one of the big F1 forums. What a PITA. Almost every day I had to put a stop to supposedly 'technical' discussions that consisted of:
    'You're a ....head fanboi.'
    'No, you're an **s**le.'
    'You have **it for brains.'
    ad nauseum.

Some of the MOTOGP forums are also like that. Who wants to wade through that garbage?

I'm glad this place is moderated the way it is.

Raptor's Youtube page doesn't seem to be well moderated. Why not just rant there instead of here? The people there seem to be almost all adoring True Believers, so you'd have a lively discussion with them.

17. Sep 19, 2019 #1717

BJC

BJC

BJC

Just because you do not like the answers does not mean that your questions are not answered.

I also know how to use other features of this forum.

Bye.

BJC

wsimpso1 and BoKu like this.
  18. Sep 19, 2019 #1718

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

I was wondering if he had approached anyone else to fly the plane and do the shake down work for him. I mean, not everyone is a test pilot and that's certainly a job for one with this project..

19. Sep 19, 2019 #1719

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

It would be nice if the new software would show that there is ignored content without having to click on the "Show Ignored Content" button. Some of the responses would make more sense if we knew they were made about an ignored member's comment.

BJC, BoKu and pictsidhe like this.
  20. Sep 19, 2019 #1720

BJC

BJC

BJC

AFAIK, he has approached others. (There are some comments about that way back in this thread.) I don’t know if anyone has agreed to fly it.

BJC