Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

pictsidhe

Well, I've heard they want an airplane. But what is it they want it to do? Peters dream of flying back to Australia is unrealistic at 8200 miles from California...
I haven't heard of a single dissatisfied deposit holder yet.
Jeez, he could just book a seat on one of those new fangled airliner things.

A few ex deposit holders have commented in this thread.

231TC

I've seen at least 10 who got their deposits back and I don't follow all that drama closely. So they're not deposit holders anymore, but were dissatisfied enough to bail on the project.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Some changed their minds, but I haven't heard any complaints. At least not from the serious $20,000 deposit holders.

231TC

Some changed their minds, but I haven't heard any complaints. At least not from the serious $20,000 deposit holders.
That's a different group. The $20k wasn't a deposit, but a non-refundable investment. Gotta be pretty die-hard to pony up that much for this project. Ask them in two years. Some will probably still be proud of their investment, but then again, some people are still holding onto their Iraqi dinars waiting for the market to pop.

231TC

No offense to those that did, but I wouldn't admit it if I fell for that.

Also, it seems like many of his biggest fans are not from the aviation world, so wouldn't necessarily be hanging out in a place like this. Many of his biggest defenders, when pressed on it admit that they're not even pilots. Nothing wrong with that, but it leaves them at a disadvantage in knowledge.

cblink.007

Just another one of Peter's dreams. Most controllers would rather not have you up there unless you're doing at least 250 knots and Raptor won't be doing that.
I have taken the Osprey to flight levels twice. Each time, no matter what we filed, we were placed at either 180 or 190...and even at that, we ended up being decended in order to be out of the way of the heavies, and we coaxed that thing to 320 ktas!

Last edited:

cblink.007

No offense to those that did, but I wouldn't admit it if I fell for that.

Also, it seems like many of his biggest fans are not from the aviation world, so wouldn't necessarily be hanging out in a place like this. Many of his biggest defenders, when pressed on it admit that they're not even pilots. Nothing wrong with that, but it leaves them at a disadvantage in knowledge.
If you can only imagine if HBA was around during the Paul Moller SkyCar fiascos!!

canardlover

What are we looking for, and where are they supposed to be located? Because in the first flight video, from the POV where we can see from the aileron spade on in, I don't see anything.... other than what I assumed was a tiedown lug?
Watch closely at beginning as aircraft is towed out of the hanger. They are out at the tip under the wing right at the point that the radius transition to the winglets begins . White vertical chordwise fence about 3 inches wide.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Watch closely at beginning as aircraft is towed out of the hanger. They are out at the tip under the wing right at the point that the radius transition to the winglets begins . White vertical chordwise fence about 3 inches wide.
Those are still on the airplane. Question - I assume they help with flow at the wingtip, but don't many of the Rutanesque designs use smaller vortilons farther inboard to reduce the spanwise flow before it gets all the way to the tip?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Can't really stop spanwise flow. The flow isn't spanwise at cruise. But at high angle of attack it is getting more span wise and the vortilons stick up and send a vortex off at an angle from the side flow to energize the outboard wing (source: Raymer)

cblink.007

Can't really stop spanwise flow. The flow isn't spanwise at cruise. But at high angle of attack it is getting more span wise and the vortilons stick up and send a vortex off at an angle from the side flow to energize the outboard wing (source: Raymer)
True statement!

Geraldc

Needs more weight up front = less at back - how much does that extra turbo weigh?

Jet787

Well, I've heard they want an airplane. But what is it they want it to do? Peters dream of flying back to Australia is unrealistic at 8200 miles from California...
Well, I cancelled my deposit several years ago. I know of another Capt that is in the process. I’d be curious how many others have also.

Status
Not open for further replies.