Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywheel1935

He's alive and well and just posted a new YT Video, going to make some improvements apparently, wonder why !!!!!!
Having rewatched the latest video, I almost am starting to feel a bit sorry for him, maybe if he embraced and engaged with everyone who is trying to help then he may actually achieve some of his goals, even getting Bill Clapp,( Mr Saberwing )to fly chase, would surely help! maybe he's just scared to ask ???

Last edited:

ImperfectSense

He's alive and well and just posted a new YT Video, going to make some improvements apparently, wonder why !!!!!!

Holy ****. He's gonna use tufting? And make high-speed runs to see what the air's doing leading into his cooling inlet and outlet? Peter.... good for you man!

The wheel well explanation still sounds like b.s. But at least he's going to tuft it and see what's happening. And he's gonna tuft for spanwise flow too!

I'm.... so happy and excited with his latest update. He looks and sounds... emotionally exhausted. But it is just so good to hear he's got a plan for safely moving forward, other than brashly just flying again.

231TC

Seems to be moving in the right direction, but barely. I'm still shaking my head through a lot of it. Adding coolant will buy him a little full power time for testing, but what's next? Adding ice to the coolant tanks before each flight?

I thought he sounded pretty upbeat, though. Maybe because I watched it at 2x speed.

Mike0101

HBA Supporter
The 5 gallon additional coolant doesn't add much head room… A simple BTU calculation would illustrate that. Ice on the other hand will absorb 144 BTU/lb due to phase change vs. 1 for water (not glycol/water mix). It's a poorly thought out bandaid, when root cause is being ignored.

Am I the only person that would be concerned by the rate of temperature rise of the oil? I'd pull an oil sample for analysis (or cut filter open, preferably both). PM's lost HP could be engine eating itself - referring to impending plain bearing failure(s). I've never had a healthy liquid cooled engine in which oil temps led coolant temps on startup and coming up to temperature(s) (even when beating on it...). Didn't he have plain bearing issues on belt drive and he simply ignored scoring???

pictsidhe

The 5 gallon additional coolant doesn't add much head room… A simple BTU calculation would illustrate that. Ice on the other hand will absorb 144 BTU/lb due to phase change vs. 1 for water (not glycol/water mix). It's a poorly thought out bandaid, when root cause is being ignored.

Am I the only person that would be concerned by the rate of temperature rise of the oil? I'd pull an oil sample for analysis (or cut filter open, preferably both). PM's lost HP could be engine eating itself - referring to impending plain bearing failure(s). I've never had a healthy liquid cooled engine in which oil temps led coolant temps on startup and coming up to temperature(s) (even when beating on it...). Didn't he have plain bearing issues on belt drive and he simply ignored scoring???
Haven't watched it yet, buy sounds like he is trying to kludge it. He has nowhere near enough cooling. Temps didn't look like stabilising until he was down to 20%. At that power level, the turbos aren't spooled, so minimal intercooler heat. He needs about an order of magnitude more cooling at pattern speed. Adding some kind of boil off cooling would kludge it for some minutes. At least one of the Reno racers went to boil off cooling. Spraying water on his HXs is the simple way to do that.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Am I the only person that would be concerned by the rate of temperature rise of the oil?
Concerned? Absolutely. His entire cooling system (as I understand it) is horribly designed. The radiators/coolers are not getting forced air - just whatever air happens to find its way to the coolers in the cowling. Hint, air isn't going to "choose" to flow through the fins when it can go around. There's no hope without ducting air to those coolers/radiators.

Realistically, when he enters the runway, his oil temperatures (even in a rush to the runway) are higher than I see 5 minutes into a full power takeoff/climb. It is just ridiculous.

rv6ejguy

The 1688F TIT is dangerously high for a diesel as he's been warned multiple times for a couple years now but he's alright with that. Incredible. I suggested he call up Gale Banks and ask them for an expert opinion.

Walling off the big holes aft the HXs will help some. He was told to do this a couple years ago too...

Nothing was done to address the oil temps which are also dangerously high.

5 gallons more coolant will give him another 60 seconds maybe and the rad mods maybe 60. Added to his last flight time, he might get 5-7 minutes of flight time before the coolant is off the clock again at the cooler OAT. That might get him to pattern altitude. Not a great goal given this is supposed to climb to 25,000 feet at say 80% power.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Maybe one of the 5 gallon tanks should be oil.
I think he needs to poll the deposit holders and ask what they can give up. Do they really want 25,000 feet?

cblink.007

Maybe one of the 5 gallon tanks should be oil.
I think he needs to poll the deposit holders and ask what they can give up. Do they really want 25,000 feet?
In all the years I have operated light aircraft, I have never needed FL250.

In all the years I operated capable military aircraft like the Osprey, we never had a need for FL250.

Class A airspace is for the big and or fast birds!

rv6ejguy

In all the years I operated capable military aircraft like the Osprey, we never had a need for FL250.

Just another one of Peter's dreams. Most controllers would rather not have you up there unless you're doing at least 250 knots and Raptor won't be doing that.

Mike0101

HBA Supporter
But what if 5 gallon coolant tank is turned into pressure vessel and steam pressure stored due to boiling and released all at once, for a short burst of speed... Ok bad joke.

pictsidhe

It would be interesting to hear from Lancair owners. The Lancairs have sorta similar specs to Peter's dreams.

pictsidhe

I only get about an extra 30 seconds before overheat with an extra 5 gallons of coolant. Most of the thermal mass is in the 500lb engine, another 40lb of coolant isn't going to make a huge difference.
Whether it is me, or Ross, who is nearest. It is a safe bet Peter hasn't done the maths on this either.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
No, I'm guessing they really want their 25,000 dollars back!
Well, I've heard they want an airplane. But what is it they want it to do? Peters dream of flying back to Australia is unrealistic at 8200 miles from California...
I haven't heard of a single dissatisfied deposit holder yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts