Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

malte

I couldn't find this one online. However, it's odd that the last four of its registration is identical to the previous French accident: F-PRIQ vs. HB-PRIQ. Is the Swiss registration a typo, or is this actually the same airplane?

Ron Wanttaja
It is most likely the same aircraft. The swiss have three letters after HB. F-P indicates a french experimental. A swiss experimental would have HB-Y, followed by two other letters.

Doggzilla

Banned
HBA Supporter
I see this Raptor saga as an ongoing puzzle. We have several pieces missing to solve for how it got to this point.
Clearly to me, the website specs have been misleading or just not updated.
But how can a professionally built airframe be 900 lbs heavier than comparable airplanes? Must be some pieces of this puzzle still missing.
I already suggested the parachute for which the comparable airplanes don't have, so deduct 100 pounds for a large chute as one piece of the puzzle. The comparable airplanes don't have pressurization so what should all that add up to if well engineered, for another piece of the puzzle. What else? Leather seats? Avionics? A/C?
Maybe it has extra long range fuel tanks? What does that weigh? What airframe part was too heavy?
Jeff's plane was about 2100-2200 pounds. So maybe the 1800 pound number is suspect. Who knows?
It should be possible to locate all of the overweight items.
It is obvious to me the the original website estimates were flawed or at least not updated as options were added.
Just an interesting unexplained mystery to me.
Someone else who has worked with composite aircraft stated that Raptor crew used thicker carbon than anything else he's ever seen, including thicker than full size turboprops.

Scheny

But how can a professionally built airframe be 900 lbs heavier than comparable airplanes?
Someone else who has worked with composite aircraft stated that Raptor crew used thicker carbon than anything else he's ever seen, including thicker than full size turboprops.
I started and was part of that conversation. I noticed, that the keel is solid carbon and about as thick as my thumb... Normally you would construct solid parts only 1/10 inch thick. Also the hull is normally built with three layers on both sides of foam. Cirrus and Diamond even use only 2 except for high stress areas.

The Raptor rather looks like having at least 8 layers but without any foam giving it stiffness. If pressurized, this would be less a problem.