Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ScaleBirdsScott

Why post his latest communication on his 'Community Channel' & not the YT Channel ????
Maybe he doesn't want to lose too many Disciples/Followers/Investors 🤬
That's kindof just how YT works afaik. All text-only posts go right to the Community Channel on YT. It still will show up in the feed and I saw it earlier while scrolling, so it's hardly hidden.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The Detroit Flying Car crash video has been thoroughly discussed here as an example of incorrect or lack of incremental high speed taxi testing.
Marc's last point that flying the Raptor prototype at all provides no useful purpose, is most compelling.
If the Detroit Flying Car company had slowed testing and found the rotation flaw, it could have been fixed. Instead the company is likely out of business.

Last edited:

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
From Peter's post on his YouTube Community, it appears that he may utilise a local DAR/Test Pilot for his program moving ahead.

The following is a transcript of his note to his community:

Hey All, just a quick message before the next video update mainly for all those concerned about the ongoing flight testing. First of all, I'm continuing ground testing to find any more potential issues. I actually found a decent one yesterday that I'm working on resolving now. I'm also working with a new DAR based right here at True Flight Aerospace, the guys that have given me a warm welcome and are hosting the aircraft and even providing support and guidance. The airworthiness certificate amendment is underway now and as part of that the new DAR will be doing his own full inspection of the aircraft. So hopefully anything that was missed by everyone else who inspected it will be identified and resolved. The DAR is also a former test pilot who at one point in his test piloting career had a hand at building a Long EZ and flew the flight test program on it. I'm already consulting with him to ensure that everything that happens with the prototype is done in a safe manner. What better person to have than a DAR and Test pilot, and right here, every day. It's like a dream come true. I will be bringing in an active test pilot to do the majority of the test program and hopefully we'll find someone local to the southeast. Frankly, having a remote group was just not working out. So, please calm down just a little, trust that the level of judgement I have used to get this far will continue to prevail to bring the aircraft through to completion of the flight test program.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
From Peter's post on his YouTube Community, it appears that he may utilise a local DAR/Test Pilot for his program moving ahead.
The DAR is a regulatory requirement to re-up the airplane's certificate and fly-off area. It was initially signed off almost a year ago and that's about to expire. I don't know his fly-off area, but I guarantee Valdosta is outside it, so his op limits will need to be renewed.

The test pilot will be interesting. I'm sure there are experienced pilots down that way, and he could probably find someone in Jax or Pcola who's been to NTPS, but whether he can find the right person to evaluate/fly the Raptor is the real question. There are a few gung-ho types who might give it a shot, but...yeesh.

TFF

Those are the people who are trying to resuscitate the Grumman Tiger. I don’t know if he wants a production based DAR going through it. Of course we would.

pictsidhe

If
Those are the people who are trying to resuscitate the Grumman Tiger. I don’t know if he wants a production based DAR going through it. Of course we would.
I have a feeling Peter is not going to like his new DAR's view of the Raptor.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
I have a feeling Peter is not going to like his new DAR's view of the Raptor.
Lots of the fundamental problems have been cleaned up. Wasabi and Marc earned their pay on that front. A DAR may not have any problems with the aircraft. It is properly registered and (again) there may not be any blatantly obvious problems with the aircraft. I expect it to clear the DAR hurdle pretty easily.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It could certainly be flown down the runway a few times for no particular reason. The fundamental design flaw as a personal aircraft is the excessive stall speed and the unproven engine/PSRU combination. You can fly reasonably with an unproven engine and a very low stall speed to land off field. Or a higher stall speed and two certified engines. But not both high stall speed and a single unreliable engine/PSRU as is the case here.
The poor survivability above 61kts stall is explained by Wainfan in one of his forum charts. That number was picked for a reason. Reno test pilots can be comfortable above 61kts. Not responsible with clueless young passengers.
If the heavy engine is to remain in version two, the airframe should have quite a bit larger wing area. The cause of the overweight needs to be determined before start over.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I previously wrote:

... even Justin is somewhat sub-optimal, as he does not have hundreds of hours in canards...
I not only would like to, but NEED to, retract this statement, as it was both inaccurate and out of line in a public forum.

Firstly, while I talk to Justin irregularly and have a good relationship with him, I am NOT intimately familiar with all of his flight experience in multiple aircraft types so should not have discussed something of which I was not sure.

Secondly, comparing pilots is a fool's errand, unless one has substantial flying experience with the folks being evaluated and I don't. I am not and was not in a position to evaluate any particular test-pilot's suitability for flying the Raptor prototype, other than to say that only a test pilot with substantial experience should be flying it for all the reasons noted previously.

I apologize to Justin for my statement, and to anyone else who might have been offended by it.

philg

if you want to look at what's wrong with GA, this thread is great example. plenty of people prepared to criticize for the sake of hearing themselves criticizing and not a lot willing to have a go at building and flying EA planes.

flywheel1935

if you want to look at what's wrong with GA, this thread is great example. plenty of people prepared to criticize for the sake of hearing themselves criticizing and not a lot willing to have a go at building and flying EA planes.

I'm here in the UK, currently Building a LSA style STOL Aeroplane, The UK homebuilding world is tiny compared to the States,or even the rest of Europe. So feel I have the right to comment, as I'm part of a much bigger group of global builder /pilots & have a build log in Tube & Fabric on HBA.

TarDevil

This is such a tiring, overused cliche.

What's wrong with GA is the unacceptable accident rate, and it's even worse in homebuilt aircraft... BEFORE we delve into the category of non-certificated engines.

What's wrong with Raptor has been highlighted to, hopefully, keep those statistics from growing along with the black eye publicity associated with that change in status.

The vast majority of Raptor criticism in this thread originates from qualified sources.

pictsidhe

You'll probably find that most of the critics on here have some knowledge of HBA design and construction. They are criticising as they do not like what they see. I'm sure my ultralight, along with other critic's projects, will be far better engineered than the Raptor.
Designing a fast four seat 'world beater' is not done by Peter's method: Suck it and see engineering.