Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
That's a little spooky.
As to the Jet A debate, our fuel barge delivers us Jet A. If we put it in the big tank it's heating oil, the little tank it's Jet fuel. Only difference is the little tank has a dedicated line, the big one shares a line with D2. What they sell in other parts of the country, I don't know. Some engines tolerate jet, some don't. Really depends on the pump and injectors. I do know the newer high pressure stuff can be pretty finicky. Boss has a Ford, 2006 maybe? It's pretty picky. They aren't like the old ones.

flywheel1935

I stand by my previous comment that I think Peter will 'Give it a Go'
this is a reply on his latest YT Video

"All of their to do list concerns had been addressed already that last Wednesday. The runway was always referred to as a concern but never a must do, until then. So I fixed that as well by moving. But now that I have more runway, I'm comfortable with more testing on my own before potentially bringing in a test pilot again if I feel it's necessary." !!!!

😱

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
None! As CFI he probably fly Cessna and Piper aircraft and have no test pilot experience :oops:
Well, he may have some canard experience, I hope. The sound option at this stage would be to GET some good canard experience. There really isn't any reason why he can't assume the risk himself with proper preparation and guidance from the test pilots if they won't fly it. He has the most time in the aircraft. It would be more risk for him. But there is always risk.
I think all the ground time he can get at high power would be helpful to test the power system.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

So he didn't want to fly from Cherokee as it was too tight and scary?

If Justin won't fly it, he certainly should not. The wasabi team have already found some very dangerous issues. Floppy aileron control, seized up pitch control with a few pounds on the ailerons. Lots of other bad quirks too. You can bet there are more to find.

Sounds bad at idle, like it has TV...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think they could both fly it. Peter can report and handle his complex systems while Justin keeps his head up with stick and rudder. Otherwise, if done solo by Justin, he should take considerable time to learn those systems.
I would run it a high power while holding brakes locked on the numbers till it starts to get hot then let it go down the runway to cool at 65. He needs to see if it will run at least two minutes at full power a few times.

Last edited:

Malish

Well, he may have some canard experience, I hope. The sound option at this stage would be to GET some good canard experience.
Yes, if he want to fly this aircraft himself, he is better find someone to give him few hours training in Velocity! And even than, I wouldn't test fly this aircraft(Raptor) - it's dangerous aircraft to fly :oops: :rolleyes:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yes, if he want to fly this aircraft himself, he is better find someone to give him few hours training in Velocity! And even than, I wouldn't test fly this aircraft(Raptor) - it's dangerous aircraft to fly :oops: :rolleyes:
Good advice.
Did you test fly your aircraft?

Malish

Good advice.
Did you test fly your aircraft?
No! Professional test pilot flew it first! Then after that he give us "check ride" on it. Our PJ-II "Dreamer"(same should be for Raptor) fly as a "JET"(no prop wash over control serfices), pilot MUST control airspeed and fly it by "numbers". And our aircraft is not so "sophisticated" as Raptor ;)

cheapracer

Log Member
No! Professional test pilot flew it first! ;)
Sensible, but I would hazard a guess that the desire to be the "First to fly" the Raptor is strong

I know the feeling, and it has gotten me into trouble with land vehicles and other machines, i.e. getting too excited and operating them before they were really fully prepared.

But this is an aircraft, and of course the consequences are far more deadly.

Victor Bravo

Someone "on the team", or one of the stronger supporters of this project might be able to resolve this issue, using what Bugs Bunny always called "a little stragety".

The approach is simple but completely Bugs-worthy:

"Peter you can't test fly the airplane, you're far too valuable to the program. If anything happened to you, the program would be at a loss for leadership. Just like other leading corporations, this corporation needs to protect you under the 'key man' principle. Insurance companies always try not to let movie stars do their own stunts, because if the star of the show gets injured the whole movie production stops. So just like your peers Robert DeNiro, Clark Gable, Tom Hanks, and Jack Nicholson... get a stunt man to do this."

Steve C

I think his instinct to shove the nose down on his "flight" could easily cause a pio at higher speeds. I'm reminded of wheelies on a motorcycle. Some guys run the throttle on or off like a jackhammer while others quickly but smoothly find the spot where it stays put. One of those ways is clearly better. The other sometimes find themselves sliding down the road.

I've read about the desire for diesel aircraft engines because of availability of fuel all over the world, but if some of it wrecks fuel pumps it doesn't seem like such a benefit.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

I think they could both fly it. Peter can report and handle his complex systems while Justin keeps his head up with stick and rudder. Otherwise, if done solo by Justin, he should take considerable time to learn those systems.
I would run it a high power while holding brakes locked on the numbers till it starts to get hot then let it go down the runway to cool at 65. He needs to see if it will run at least two minutes at full power a few times.
It would be overweight with Peter and Justin aboard.

TarDevil

Oh great Zeus! Justin knows better than have a control freak like Peter on board for the first flight. Peter already asked Justin in taxi tests if he should take over if the plane got out of sorts. Justin readily quelched that notion.
No. Peter shouldn't be in that plane with Justin.

Steve C

I just read some comments. It appears something Wasabi said has hurt Peter's feelings. He intends to fly it down the runway himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.