Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

poormansairforce

Yes. After years of work on his dream, it seems as if reality is setting in. That recent video almost made me feel sorry for Peter.

BJC
The sad thing is that in his YT comment he really thinks that once it flies he is ready to start production! He has no idea what lies ahead......
He actually said that he was counting on revenue from YT vids every day during test flights to carry him financially to production.:oops:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
The sad thing is that in his YT comment he really thinks that once it flies he is ready to start production! He has no idea what lies ahead......
I don't think this has been much discussed and few here believe it will get that far anyway. But ask anyone who has been responsible for scaling a vehicle to production, they will tell you that building the prototype was the easy part!

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
How about a GF page for a project with a chance of success?

#4322 o_O

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
One of these would solve the bearing problem.
I've BTDT on the HP-18 side stick, I could solve the problem at hand with some 1x2 rectangular steel tubing and a couple skate bearings. But the real problem is that Peter has quadrupled^2 down on not-invented-here, and he pretty much doesn't take advice from anybody.

UAVGuy

The model would then also need 75hp to scale the power/weight, which doesn't sound practical. Scale models may have some use, but many design aspects don't scale well, or at all.
NASA doesn't agree with you.

For a comparable thrust to weight ratio...

Real airplane = 340HP ish. Real airplane weight = 3100 lbs. Real airplane power/weight ratio = 0.11 HP per pound.

Model 50 pounds x 0.11 HP/lb = 5.5 HP or 4,000 watts. Certainly doable with today's electric RC motors.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Just watched the latest video. First, I'll say that obviously, I have at least some small dog in this hunt, having done the previous examination of the airplane with Justin and Elliot, so I'd certainly be concerned that my comments aren't completely unbiased. But:
  • I can't say I'm surprised that they didn't fly
  • I AM surprised that they would have been willing to fly with the existing elevator mass balance scheme
  • There is no doubt whatsoever that on the first hard landing or over rotation on takeoff (both of which WILL happen with a new canard design, and happens fairly regularly with well known and understood ones), the prop diameter will decrease (A 6.00 x 6 tire will compress at least a couple of inches on a hard landing, and it's not like the landing gear system is infinitely stiff either)
  • I am mildly bothered by a guy who knows nothing about airplane design (and seems to have learned little in the years he's been playing at it) whining in the video that in the first examination/review (but NOT a design review) of his plane that he hired anyone to perform on the plane that he'd been working on for many years, the professionals only discovered 23 out of the 25 major safety issues extant, and that although he doesn't want to point fingers, the three of us SHOULD have been able to find ALL the errors he made in design, fabrication and testing, in a one day examination
  • While he did admit that he had PROBABLY made more mistake than anyone else (not sure who he'd be thinking could have made more, but whatever), he then went back to complaining about how much time we'd caused him to lose because we didn't find these two things, and it'll take him a week to address one of them and he has no idea how to address the other
  • My goal is/was to keep Justin alive (I like Justin a lot, but even if I didn't, that would be my goal), and I'm glad to see they were willing to ensure that that was the main goal too, at the expense of not being able to say they had flown the plane

Maybe I'm more annoyed than I thought I was when I started writing this...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
How did they happen to find that binding? Is that part of certification or test pilot checklist or something.
I assume the procedure is to clamp the ailerons, apply aileron force and see if the elevator binds or not.

berridos

From personal experience, his biggest problem now is to dispose his dream. I got in my workshop hanging a 6m fuselage plug from the roof and leaned against the wall a set of wings and elevator and my diogenes syndrome doesnt allow me to cut it in small pieces and trash it. He needs to overcome the hurdle i didnt manage to overcome. Welcome back to android.
Maybe in a couple of years his mental disorder aggravates again and he starts a new project like me.
The bushings on the control rod are ridiculous. You have tons of bearings available in cnc linear guides systems for three pennys that would make a perfect job. Using cheap plastic rings is even to dodgy for a chinese `product.

canardlover

The model I built was quarter scale at 8 foot span,give or take,and weigh approx 30 pounds. It flew with plenty authority with a 2300 watt electric brushless motor. It also ended up flying quite well after I corrected all the aero mistakes present in the original design. But bear in mind I had only made 4 flights,IIRC, and he shut down model test program. He was convinced that everything needed in terms of flight characteric investigation was accomplished in those few flights. Never got to investigate stall characteristics,,rudder authority, rudder/roll coupling, aileron/ yaw coupling,slow flight control authority,etc,etc,etc. Many more flights should have been executed to at least get a reasonably representative indication of the platforms dynamic flight characteristics .

anvegger

HBA Supporter
Do you really want to get this entertainment finished? - I really doubt - Lots of materials already useful for many people around the world And Great job By Jeff Kerlo has to be awarded and demonstrated

Last edited:

rbarnes

Saw that 3" of prop clearance and thought .... sure hope that's a really smooth runway you're taking off and landing from, because the sidewall flex in the tires alone will bury those prop tips into the pavement. Ugh. ... but hey "I'm ok with that"

Turd Ferguson

Saw that 3" of prop clearance and thought .... sure hope that's a really smooth runway you're taking off and landing from, because the sidewall flex in the tires alone will bury those prop tips into the pavement. Ugh. ... but hey "I'm ok with that"
Clearance under old Part 23 was checked with gear deflected under a a 1.5g landing load and for aft mounted propellers, with pitch attitude in the maximum pitch attitude attainable during normal takeoffs and landings.

Status
Not open for further replies.