Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

UAVGuy

I’ll bet that there are some within the 4,299 pages of comments. Have you checked?
I just reread the last several months of comments in this thread. The spreadsheet was in a video from last week and no one addressed these matters.

Are Peter's lift off projections correct?

Seems the main wing might stall before the canard? Or at least the canard wants to fly well before the main wing?

Is 97 MPH a reasonable lift off speed?

Last edited:

UAVGuy

Is a test pilot really going to just taxi this thing for a while and then fly it? What if it goes into a death spin?

Peter has a 1/4 scale model. Wouldn't that provide some good flight characteristic information prior to someone flying the real thing? Or are models over rated?

ScaleBirdsScott

The prop clearance seeeems kinda low if the gear legs deflect a lot on landing, and if the landing AOA is a little high, but I'm not sure if I know enough to actually make any claims; or whether they know enough to rule that all out.

UAVGuy

The prop clearance seeeems kinda low if the gear legs deflect a lot on landing, and if the landing AOA is a little high, but I'm not sure if I know enough to actually make any claims; or whether they know enough to rule that all out.
I think he says it's 3" at a 10 degree body AOA. But I think they need 6 degrees of body AOA to get lift. Seems like a narrow margin?

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Do you think there is enough prop clearance?
Seems low to me but I don't know what's common on canards.
This overweight research aircraft only really needs to fly once, and then the company future can be adjusted after that, I think.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Peter has no idea. Oh, my pulley guards can’t rotate? I shouldn’t activate my ailerons via tiny bearings off the control stick? The comedy increases. I only wish Elliot wasn’t interested in flying this failure.

UAVGuy

The Raptor will weigh about 3200 pounds ready to fly. The model was 1/4 scale. It would have to weigh 50 pounds in order to be a valid representation of the real plane. Something tells me the model weighs no where near that.

flywheel1935

To be fair guys, you can't but feel for the guy, but surely the control column issue should have been addressed yonks ago by those who pre -snagged the aircraft months ago ??? would a ptfe or bronze block sort the problem in the short term ? just to get it airborne for a few hours. just seemed lockdown wasted 3 months of extra fine tuning.

Hephaestus

Yes. After years of work on his dream, it seems as if reality is setting in. That recent video almost made me feel sorry for Peter.
90% done - 90% to go...

This is the grind isn't it?

The guide issue came up a good while back here didn't it?

The binding in the stick should have been caught once he properly tensioned things...

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Things happen when designing from scratch. Just have to deal with it. Nobodies fault.
He has managed fairly well so far considering the lack of access in composite designs.

TarDevil

And not just from scratch... he tried to build a fully loaded production plane with his prototype.
He undertook both airframe and propulsion development.
I applaud his tenacity. I lament his stubbornness (unsure if it contributed to his current woes).
I do hope he sees it fly, but cringe at his desire to take the controls for the duration of the 40 hours. Short term success may lead to longer term tragedy.
Have I said or heard all this before?
Good heavens, I don't know what to feel.

JeffTaylor

The Raptor will weigh about 3200 pounds ready to fly. The model was 1/4 scale. It would have to weigh 50 pounds in order to be a valid representation of the real plane. Something tells me the model weighs no where near that.
The model would then also need 75hp to scale the power/weight, which doesn't sound practical. Scale models may have some use, but many design aspects don't scale well, or at all.