Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Just wondered about your thoughts ref engine choice ??? (as your in the trade !!!) to be honest it sounds pretty good when running properly, shame about the PRU
Base auto engines are pretty good these days, but there might be a few things that would short based upon testing and market experience. The real issues lie in how good a job is done on everything that gets added and if the builder is extending the power. Bad choices on that stuff can make an awful airplane engine. And there are many of those. Turbochargers and intercoolers and fueling and manifolding and alternators and PSRU and wiring and cooling and plumbing and so on... When they are all done properly and the package works, good durable reliable engines can result.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Base auto engines are pretty good these days, but there might be a few things that would short based upon testing and market experience. The real issues lie in how good a job is done on everything that gets added and if the builder is extending the power. Bad choices on that stuff can make an awful airplane engine. And there are many of those. Turbochargers and intercoolers and fueling and manifolding and alternators and PSRU and wiring and cooling and plumbing and so on... When they are all done properly and the package works, good durable reliable engines can result.
Well that engine happens to be the one that the whole VAG cheating on emissions testing was all about. Same engine in the A6 TDI and other platforms including the Cayenne and VW SUVs. But none of that stuff is left due to changing out ECUs. Maybe a stock sensor or two here or there. I have a friend here that fought all the way through the process with VAG and got the settlement and kept the car and they finally modded it to whatever the fix was. O2 sensor codes constantly with that car. It does get really good gas mileage.

pictsidhe

Looks like the ailerons are even worse now. I suspect that cranking up the tension will help some, though. Once a few dozen people have told him...
I suspect that he'll need to ultimately try a different fix, though.

flywheel1935

Looks like the cable stops in the wings do not have any bracing ? apart from a alloy/steel plate bolted to the carbon stop. Wonder if they are flexing like little carbon springs.
After all that work and it still not right I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him, but I would have gone Teleflex from the start. Oh well , the saga continues !!!

cheapracer

Log Member
I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him,
This guy made his own bed, he can sleep in it.

But if I was him at this point, I would be off to the local EAA with my hat in my hand and find a couple of people who actually know what they are doing, and happy to lend a helping hand. This might involve eating some large slices of humble pie.

It's painful.
Yes it is.

My first full time job was as an Apprentice Motorcycle Mechanic, I have made plenty of cables and that steel wound stuff, which I wasn't sure that it was that stuff last video, is just awful, most motorbike shops won't touch it.

Besides that, he still has free running cable, the system will never work, he needs proper push/pull cables, and without the lead-in 90 degree bends. "Pre-Stretched" cable won't make much difference, there's little tension or load in his system.

Still nobody asking why this multi-million dollar project, with 126 paid deposit clients, has just one man working it.

Kyle Boatright

Still nobody asking why this multi-million dollar project, with 126 paid deposit clients, has just one man working it.
I'm pretty sure he ran out of OPM a few months ago when he laid off the rest of the staff. So he can't afford hired help.

As far as bringing in experienced EAA folks, there are plenty around here. There are also plenty of active (and retired) Lockheed folks. Expert help and advise isn't far away at all.

cheapracer

Log Member
I'm pretty sure he ran out of OPM a few months ago when he laid off the rest of the staff. So he can't afford hired help.
Likely scenario, but my point was I can't understand why no one is asking the question.

If you had $20K in, wouldn't you be asking.

TFF

Is the cable just looped around the fork pin of the turnbuckle ? Right off the bat I knew he was going to find the cables needing pre stretched.