Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

All the people I know who own Cirrus are on their third or fourth plane. Cirrus sells an airliner for four. The wife does love’m. That they did not have a twin with 8 seats is their fail. ICON started out for airplane people, but those guys were gone once the price went to where it is. Yes the hobby craft people are there now. We care about the airplane and that is where the translation misses. The principal is trying to fix airplane failings for regular people. Big cabin full of comfort like a big SUV. AC and heat like a Chevy Suburban. Car engine. I got a car engine at home, why are not all airplanes like this? Cool shape, same answer as last. It is built; it has potential. But scientific fixes are hard when the guy is like Dr Frankenstein where the creature can do no wrong.

Tiger Tim

^All I’m reading from the above is “A big, four-place Venture with gull wing doors, a V8/big Lyc/turbine option, AC and a parachute would be awesome... if executed correctly.”

bmcj

HBA Supporter
What he is selling is the creature comforts that looks cool. That it’s an airplane is somewhat secondary. It’s really an airplane for non airplane people.
Unfortunately, despite being ‘fully equipped’, the interior test setup looks rather utilitarian and industrial. This does not have the bling appeal that you say he might be hoping for. The smart thing to do would be as you and others suggested, a bare bones proof of concept with payload margin for test equipment and mods. The sales bling should have been a full scale ground mockup fully dressed inside and out, and have publicity photos done by professional publicists with good wide angle and panorama cameras. With this, he could also invite others to sit in it and get the luxury feel they are hoping for.

Last edited:

C Michael Hoover

Unfortunately, despite being ‘fully equipped’, the interior test setup looks rather utilitarian and industrial. This does not have the bling appeal that you say he might be hoping for. The start thing to do would be as you and others suggested, a bare bones proof of concept with payload margin for test equipment and mods. The sales bling should have been a full scale ground mockup fully dressed inside and out, and have publicity photos done by professional publicists with good wide angle and panorama cameras. With this, he could also invite others to sit in it and get the luxury feel they are hoping for.

And add the models, he - James Bond cool in a tux, and she - drop dead gorgeous in an evening gown, both with a distant stare as if they are so cool that you shouldn't even think of trying to be that cool.

Years ago, Flying magazine had that exact shot with a vaporware plane, a jet, single engine I think. Can't recall the name, could have been Premier?

Turd Ferguson

One point to consider is that this is the first of what is hoped to be many.
The many fixes on this one will probably be addressed properly on subsequent models.
It is far easier to modify things on a new build than inside an existing structure.
Prolly should incorporate the fixes on this airplane so they can be tested and fixed again if necessary. Otherwise they will be in perpetual testing mode and never be able to freeze the design. That's why shouldn't waste time making a prototype look pretty. The steel plate fixes are kinda nonsense because I can't imagine that will ever be a permanent part of the design. I could be wrong tho......

cheapracer

Log Member
The Cirrus is for non-airplane people also. .
Yeah well Cirrus tried selling an open cockpit, bi-plane tail dragging radial with the oil leaks and carby that you heroically climbed out onto the wing mid flight to adjust for 'Real Pilots', but it just didn't sell.

cheapracer

Log Member
The pusher wasn't a biplane... but yeah it didn't sell well. And they went a different direction.
LOL, you may have missed my sarcasm.

But seriously, "Non-Airplane" people? If you fly then you are an airplane person, I don't think it's complicated.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
LOL, you may have missed my sarcasm.
No, you missed mine.
The Cirrus is one of a new type that want to offer and market an alternative to abrasive airline travel for non-pilots.
James Fallows wrote a book about it: Free Flight. And an article for the Atlantic magazine. Here is a snip from the article:

[Whether or not the pilot population increases in the long run, for the foreseeable future small planes will make a difference mainly if they constitute the operating fleet for a new national system of air taxis. A supply of inexpensive, safe, comfortable small planes, flown by hired pilots and available at rates comparable to today's coach air fares, could bring freedom and convenience to a broader share of the traveling public than the class to whom "flying commercial" is a badge of shame.

Two of the companies deeply involved in the race to create this fleet are the Cirrus Design Corporation, of Duluth, Minnesota, and Eclipse Aviation, of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Cirrus is the first company to begin large-scale production of a genuinely new small airplane, which it calls the SR20. Eclipse is the company that is moving fastest toward the production of jet planes priced at well under a million dollars apiece, versus at least three to four times that much for all competitors. Its first plane is scheduled for delivery in 2003. Several other companies are working toward the same goal: Lancair, of Bend, Oregon, which makes a small, fast, propeller-driven plane like the SR20; Safire Aircraft, of West Palm Beach, Florida, which is planning a small jet to compete with the Eclipse; established airplane makers, including Cessna, of Wichita, Kansas, and newcomers such as Honda and Toyota, of Japan, which are all considering developing the new class of planes; and equipment manufacturers, such as Avidyne, of Lincoln, Massachusetts, and Garmin, of Olathe, Kansas, which are producing advanced electronic systems for use in the new planes. But for the moment Cirrus and Eclipse are setting the pace.]
Full article link here: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/06/freedom-of-the-skies/302233/

aeromomentum

Amazingly enough, although I OFFERED to sign an NDA prior to doing the examination, none was required. However, anything proprietary will stay that way, lest future clients see me as more of a big-mouth than they already see me as :).
Not at all surprising. Peter has been very open about the whole project from when he went public with it a few years ago and I think this is great.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
A supply of inexpensive, safe, comfortable small planes, flown by hired pilots and available at rates comparable to today's coach air fares, could bring freedom and convenience to a broader share of the traveling public
Lyft seems to have a better name to expand into that market than Uber.:rolleyes: I wonder how the patch work of the new state gig laws would impact such interstate air taxi services? :grave:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Lyft seems to have a better name to expand into that market than Uber.:rolleyes: I wonder how the patch work of the new state gig laws would impact such interstate air taxi services? :grave:
Uber is going for the 50 mile inner city market with evtol. Eventually these will all be autonomous, even interstate, and I bet they will find a way to tax air tax(i) service.o_O