Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Malish

Keep in mind that a teleflex push-pull cable need not travel the entire cable run. He can add teleflex to get past the trouble areas and then transition to bellcranks and rods in the areas that have more structural stability. That way, the teleflex need not make multiple sharp bends.
Then Peter need to redesign all system of aileron's control and how he can install them without catting the wing's structure? So far I can see, he want just put push-pull cables in same place as existing wire cable's area.

pictsidhe

Keep in mind that a teleflex push-pull cable need not travel the entire cable run. He can add teleflex to get past the trouble areas and then transition to bellcranks and rods in the areas that have more structural stability. That way, the teleflex need not make multiple sharp bends.
The problem with the cables was the hard points. With suitable hard points, he could keep the cables and have acceptable give and friction. Teleflex also needs good hard points, as do bellcranks. 'Soft points' won't work with any control system.

pictsidhe

Then Peter need to redesign all system of aileron's control and how he can install them without catting the wing's structure? So far I can see, he want just put push-pull cables in same place as existing wire cable's.
That's how it appears to me, too. Since he is taking a break for a few weeks, we have plenty of time to speculate on the various ways to do it right and wrong!

gtae07

The weight increase and other possible changes are pertinent to Light Sport Aircraft in general.

The Major Portion rule is E-AB specific.

Can you quote what was said -- Specifically about the Major Portion 49/51 % rule?
It's not from the FAA, but an email conversation I had with an EAA high-up person indicated they were talking to the FAA about relaxing the 51% rule for E-AB and the FAA seemed receptive. There would be a tradeoff--if you didn't meet the 51% rule you wouldn't get the repairman cert, for example.

Besides, anything at all mentioned about it would automatically apply to E-AB... there's no 51% rule in E-LSA.

PagoBay

Ha ha, all I remember was his comment: " for guys like me who like our bratwurst".
But the multi part Rulemaking proposal he hinted about is here: https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publications/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/08-08-2019-MOSAIC-Rulemaking-Package-Detailed-by-FAA-Administrator
Thanks. That is consistent with what a "high up" EAA guy wrote to me via emal. EAA wants to preserve the 49/51 rule and create a new category that will allow full commercial assistance. The "trade off" just mentioned would be unfortunate.

I also asked about opening the Repairman's Certificate / Training now in place for S-LSA and E-LSA so that E-AB owners who are not the original builders can perform annual condition inspections. This is also on the list of discussion points.

These two points are inter-locked it seems. Wish the focus was simply put on quality of build, DAR inspections for Air Worthiness, followed by specific and certified professional training for any owner to do annual inspections. Safety and knowledge as priorities should be sufficient. But "them there rules" make real progress hard.

Apologies for the off topic diversion. Case closed.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I imagine this Raptor class of EA-B would fall into the category of maximum factory buyer assist. One Kitplane rep told me it could be close to or even actually 100%. And they can then aggressively compete with Cirrus at about half price.
So the Raptor price could double or triple and still be half of a new certified Cirrus.
That gives factory build quality but design quality is....?

Last edited:

TFF

I believe used homebuilt planes now out number ones still owned by the builder. They are already part of the aviation economy as is.

Pro type of builds happen all the time now. I know of two relatively local shops that do it. Have been for 20 years. The only change would be not having to look the other way, which is hard for rule enforcers to do, or or should it be OR, now they would have a shop they can oversee with new regulations. For people who don’t know, the GA inspectors get payed on how many certificate oversights they have assigned. More is better. The airline inspectors get payed on how big the airline is.

Rarely does the FAA go backwards. Doubt they would here. Not with MAX hanging over their head. Just like basic med. Looks like a savior, but the fine print really not, if you do what they really want you to do. It’s kind of like the homebuilt rules now, don’t really self disclose if there is real problems, but just sign the papers.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
For people who don’t know, the GA inspectors get payed on how many certificate oversights they have assigned. More is better. The airline inspectors get payed on how big the airline is.
So you think a Raptor pro build shop will need a certificate?

pictsidhe

I imagine this Raptor class of EA-B would fall into the category of maximum factory buyer assist. One Kitplane rep told me it could be close to or even actually 100%. And they can then aggressively compete with Cirrus at about half price.
So the Raptor price could double or triple and still be half of a new certified Cirrus.
That gives factory build quality but design quality is....?
So the Raptor construction plan is based on possible legislation? Anyone else see a potential problem with that?

Rik-

Why is everyone trying some how, some way, at some angle for there to be a problem?

Are there going to be withdrawals syndrome from not having a video out for the next few weeks?

flyrite

Why is everyone trying some how, some way, at some angle for there to be a problem?

Are there going to be withdrawals syndrome from not having a video out for the next few weeks?

Hell yea they will....Never in my life have I ever seen a bunch’a folk root so hard for the failure of another mans project. I say AGAIN...I have no dog in this fight, Don’t really care what becomes of the rapture. Even since the last Moderators warnings Some just can’t help themselves!
Dang Boyz , Grow the hell up!