Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

That may be. But nothing wrong with that if he found a way to attract new pilots.
My view is the company still has some chance of success, even if this prototype crashes. Elon Musks first three rockets blew up. It takes a rare risk taker to do these difficult things, ignore the naysayers, and eventually succeed on the third try.
He might need more expert help from others to continue from here. I applaud Marc, Justin and Elliot for stepping up to help.
I would consider investment if this was a light sport that I understand. A successful investor friend once told me you invest in particular people, not companies.
5 seats, pressurised, fast and high cruiser with a high wing loading isn't really a good new pilot aircraft. Many of the depositors are likely to realise this once they start flying.

It needs an expert or three to do the engineering. I can't see that happening with Peter at the helm. We have already heard from one professional builder that he hired and repeatedly over-ruled...

BBerson

HBA Supporter
The FAA is promising relief from the 51% rule soon. (2years?) Could be up to 3000 pounds and four seats. I don't know if there will be a speed limit.
As promised by the FAA Acting Director at Theater in The Woods, Airventure 2019.

Reactions: BJC

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter

pictsidhe

New video up. I'm not sure how the outer aileron brackets are supposed to work. The elevator mass balance is, well, interesting.

donjohnston

New video up. I'm not sure how the outer aileron brackets are supposed to work. The elevator mass balance is, well, interesting.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that mass is going to behave inflight.

On the Velocity, about half the weight is mounted at the center (where the two torque tubes join) and then a quarter at the ends of each aileron.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’ve seen only 5 or 6 videos, but I am struck by the complexity of the design and corrective solutions. I can understand where some of the weight gain (verses benchmarking the weight against flying designs) came from. The complexity leads to added weight, added build time, added failure modes, added maintenance requirements and added difficulty of performing inspections and maintenance.

Assuming, and hoping, that the Raptor has no fatal aero or structural flaws, it would be interesting to see what an experienced engineer, who has built a similar configuration aircraft and who routinely inspects them, would do if hired to clean-up all the systems and install an IO-550 behind the firewall. That would be a video series that I would definitely watch.

BJC

Last edited:

pictsidhe

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that mass is going to behave inflight.

On the Velocity, about half the weight is mounted at the center (where the two torque tubes join) and then a quarter at the ends of each aileron.
Which is the way to do it to counteract flutter. Midline only is not going to have many aero benefits. The outboard aero balance horns on so many aircraft are often partly and sometimes only there to be filled with lead...

Malish

What I see now, Peter is making some kind of brackets, to install "Push-Pull" cables, but how he will rout this cables trough airframe? This cables are much bigger in diameter that steel cables installed now and you can't bent them like this go around the rollers now. What he's thinking? With so many 90 degrees turns and small radius bends - ailerons would be even more "loose" with new cables and much "stiff" to control!

Last edited:

Kyle Boatright

Which is the way to do it to counteract flutter. Midline only is not going to have many aero benefits. The outboard aero balance horns on so many aircraft are often partly and sometimes only there to be filled with lead...
Wait, is he installing balance weights on the hinge line? Gotta be forward of that.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
it would be interesting to see what an experienced engineer, who has built a similar configuration aircraft and who routinely inspects them, would do if hired to clean-up all the systems and install an IO-550 behind the firewall. That would be a video series that I would definitely watch.
That would be an experienced experimental designer, or "configurator" as the late orion would say.
Very rare. Most big companies have specialized teams.
I suspect this designer will need to learn, from experience, more about weight control prior to the next project.
It can't be done afterward.

pictsidhe

Wait, is he installing balance weights on the hinge line? Gotta be forward of that.
His balance weights are inside the nose. They are on the hinge line, but are linkaged so that they will statically balance the elevators. Dynamic balance if the elevators bend is not happening, though. It's only an 8 minute video, if you can bear that.