Raptor Composite Aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Dexacare, Mar 28, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 9, 2019 #2721

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Oh ya, most importantly this would solve the belt and mount issues by getting rid of the PSRU all together.

They are probably cheaper than having to redesign the entire PRSU anyways. And would be far easier to supply and modify if he ever does somehow get to the point of actually producing kits.

2. Nov 9, 2019 #2722

xwing

xwing

xwing

as far as appreciating advice in this thread, 1 quick search of what the turbo issue is about & a few mnts away, this post shows up, from rv6ejguy no less, that the whole x-world knows well

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...-composite-aircraft.24721/page-76#post-489751
    Way more important than WYAO is who you work with & listen to, the obvious facts are in abundance in this thread for anyone new having a look.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    bmcj likes this.
  3. Nov 9, 2019 #2723

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

You might want to check and see if that's actually true.

4. Nov 9, 2019 #2724

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

A 1969 V35 full of fuel has an Aft CG issue so add 4 guys at 200+ lbs, you know the real average American of both sexes unfortunately, and your over limits. Useful load W/Full Fuel : 489 Lb. and I'm not trying to say it will hold 5 passengers like they are advertised to.

I've been following them for 15yrs.. Everyone I've looked at to buy has never been a good deal, engine time, panel, damage history and so forth..

5. Nov 9, 2019 #2725

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Never thought of these as an option. Failures are from the guys who are trying to tune them to over 600 hp as they don't have a forged rod nor crank but who cares for this application they would be fine, cheap and easy.

Doggzilla likes this.
  6. Nov 9, 2019 #2726

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

The only defect they have is that they must be back converted to mechanical fuel pumps because the electronic pumps tend to suffer PMD failures from heat.

It doesn’t really effect performance at all but vastly improves reliability and simplicity.

7. Nov 9, 2019 #2727

Bert

Bert

Bert

How do you differentiate between a commercial project and homebuilding? In your world, are kits from Vans, Velocity, Lancair, etc homebuilt aircraft or commercial ventures?

8. Nov 9, 2019 #2728

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Your terminology is confused. A V35 has more useful load remaining than 489 lb with full fuel.

There may be some models that are out of aft limits if you load 200 lb passengers in the back, but your original blanket statement is not true (particularly for those with tip tanks). I know people who regularly fly four passengers (all adult males) and baggage within limits.

Also contrary to what you say, the average American weight is less than 200 lb for men and closer to 170 for women.

My point is not simply to quarrel about these facts and figures. It is to point out that imprecision, rumors, and opinion really don't have any place in aviation. To smear one type of airplane to make another (which doesn't deliver on its promises) appear normal isn't OK. The Bonanza (like any other certificated plane) does exactly what the POH says it will do. The Raptor? We will have to wait and see.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  9. Nov 9, 2019 #2729

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Easy, just follow the money.

10. Nov 9, 2019 #2730

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Those are commercial enterprises in business to make a profit! The business is furnishing aircraft kits and components for homebuilders.

bmcj likes this.
  11. Nov 9, 2019 #2731

Bert

Bert

Bert

That doesn't explain anything. All of the manufacturers I mentioned - and hundreds of others that I didn't - were all in the same place that the Raptor is now - a money pit with no production kits on the line. Many of those companies ended up failing - some before going into production and some after. So, from a business perspective, the Raptor is no different from its predecessors.

12. Nov 9, 2019 #2732

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Why is this even an argument?

Home builts are Home Built for personal use.

Selling aircraft kits to others is not home building.

The people who buy the kits are the home builders, not the ones selling them.

13. Nov 10, 2019 #2733

Deuelly

Deuelly

Deuelly

The kits that are sold to their buyers are homebuilt. The prototypes for those kits are commercial ventures. That's how the business works.

Brandon

14. Nov 10, 2019 #2734

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

I’m not smearing any aircraft. It’s a fact that you can’t fill the seats, the fuel tanks and the baggage all at the same time.

Hell even the SR20 can’t do it so why try and hold this contraption to a higher standard. There’s an ass for every seat but you cannot fill them and fly at the same time.

15. Nov 10, 2019 #2735

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

It would be more optimal in many ways if the first one was strictly Homebuilt with no immediate business plans.
    Tom Hamilton built and tested a tandem composite first, long before the eventual Glasair kit hit the market (unannounced before it flew). Many changes were made before the side by side version production molds were made.
    Same with RV-1 and eventual RV -3, first built as Homebuilt.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    petroelb and Turd Ferguson like this.
  16. Nov 10, 2019 #2736

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Yes, the difference is those companies didn't start off making promises, claims and taking money before they ever built anything.

petroelb and cheapracer like this.
  17. Nov 10, 2019 #2737

xwing

xwing

xwing

Just thinking out loud off the top, doesn't make any sense to me, not spending or focusing all efforts first on flying or getting there, rather than this that or the other not directly related.

Can't get that done, then at least the game is over early on, rather than getting deeper & heavier into the unknown, before getting in the air.

Sounds like i'm already going in circles.... with stuff well covered & repeated, time for me to step back from what is evident, sit back & watch the show unfold,

which as it is, where it's at & has become, for someone just tuning in, is practically unbelievable.

"unbelievable or not, it happened" & is even still playing out ..even getting the air conditioning working first..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    cheapracer likes this.
  18. Nov 10, 2019 #2738

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Firstly my response to the OP was in context, you have taken my reply to him out of context, but no problem, I'll answer anyway:

Correct, they are all 'Connercial Ventures', the difference is they proved or put their products on the market before they took public money, whereas Raptor has taken 2.7 million and continued on a path of doing everything except proving it.

I suspect there is 4 or 5 Members of this forum who would have had it flying a while ago with change to spare had it been under their wing.

Naturally I am unaware of how all of those companies got to be where they are, eg; their funding base, but if they also risked apparently naive people's money, then I am quite happy to critisise their methods also, as I have demonstrated in this thread recently with a similar project who did so.

petroelb likes this.
  19. Nov 10, 2019 #2739

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Wouldn’t that be FWR???

wsimpso1 and cheapracer like this.
  20. Nov 10, 2019 #2740

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

No, that is not a fact. I'm not going to continue with you any longer because you are disinterested in acknowledging demonstrated reality. Interested parties can look up a POH or discuss the matter with Bonanza pilots who have done what Rik says is impossible. Now back to the point: what will the Raptor be able to carry?

petroelb and cheapracer like this.