Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Steve C

When you put money in to a kickstarter project you are donating. There's no guarantee you'll get anything for it. One guy took money for a 3d printer and built himself a nice house. Morally wrong for sure, but legally there's nothing anyone could do about it.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
@cheapracer...The Synergy thread is still closed from the previous bashing so unless a new thread is started there’s nowhere to post. And I it will surely not be opened if it’s just bashing again.
The experience of the Synergy thread was bad enough that it was locked permanently. Another one can be opened, but it'll end up the same if it goes the same way. This thread has been dancing on the edge of the same fate. It's already been closed once for a short time, just to let people cool down. So long as this one remains focused on technical issues and not personal abuse of the people involved in the project and participating in the thread, it'll stay open. If people turn back to attacking each other and Pete personally, that can change.

And yes, please let's keep this thread focused on Raptor, not Synergy.

'nuff said.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Dam Son, I’s wondering when you have time to build on anything. Seems you and several others spend all your time trying to find holes in some other projects, Under the self appointed auspicious of being the ‘Know all, End all’ of aircraft design!
I don’t have **** invested or even know Peter. Found his project through this thread. But it’s keyboardist spert’s like your self that makes a lot of these threads depressing!
Well since you have so much faith, why not volunteer to be the test pilot?

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
I understand your concern but by encouraging Peter to fly with known defects he’s basically encouraging Peter to kill himself.

If he was to imagine himself in the same position as Peter, he would see what a danger it was to himself, and therefore what a danger it is to Peter.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I understand your concern but by encouraging Peter to fly with known defects he’s basically encouraging Peter to kill himself.

If he was to imagine himself in the same position as Peter, he would see what a danger it was to himself, and therefore what a danger it is to Peter.
Better stated, thank you.

flyrite

As I sed...Don’t know the man or anything bout the project other than what I’ve seen here. I will say though, Regardless of what some other person might think of what I build or fly don’t concern me at all!
Might be This Peter guy feels the same. All the hyperventilating by some here bout what they SPECULATE is a problem has been a joke!
It may crash on the next run ...But that’s his choice....We all make’m....Ain’t up to a bunch’a self appointed sperts to do it. If it goes down in flames...His choice, His Ass. I can’t see nobody getting no smarter on their opinions of his project. Get on with your own and show the world how sharp you are!

Toobuilder

Log Member
... All the hyperventilating by some here bout what they SPECULATE is a problem has been a joke!...
In his own videos, he has demonstrated that with the control stick clamped, braced or otherwise locked in position there still exists over 1/2 inch of "play" in the TE of the ailerons. By his own admission, he's "...okay with that...".

Considering the high TAS this aircraft is supposed to achieve, do you think its still "speculation" when some on this forum call that out as a problem?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
It comes down to this: Some people here see what they perceive to be legitimate problems with this design and this project. Others don't see the same things as "problems", or don't want to see them as problems. Others just like to dog pile and snipe on the Internet and, yes, there has been some of that here. Maybe a lot. Depends on your perspective.

I can tell you one thing - nobody on either side of the debate is going "win" this one, or convert people over to their point of view. I'm not honestly sure why some of you are trying. So coming in here and saying, "You people shouldn't be talking bad about this wonderful, amazing, project!" is about as worthwhile and productive as those saying, "This guy is an idiot and you're an idiot if you don't see it!"

Yes, I'm exaggerating both points of view for effect.

If you disagree with something said, make your point and walk away. If you're here for the "blood sport" of arguing on the Internet, we take a very dim view of trolls. A very dim view. If you want to argue on the Internet, tell people they're stupid, beat them with blunt arguments until they surrender, and generally make it about the people talking instead of about the topic at hand, then please accept our invitation to go visit our un-moderated discussion forum. Or, if you're two cups short of your day's caffeine score and really want to let loose, our totally no-holds-barred Internet death-match forum is open for your arguing convenience.

Thank you,

The HBA moderation team

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
The issue is that there is constant new stream of information coming from the videos and each video stirs the pot some more.

And I’m betting it’s going to be like that until he finally makes a flight attempt.

pictsidhe

The fan boys have been going straight to my ignore list for a few weeks. I've realised it is pointless discussing the Raptor with them or reading their comments. I bet some of them have added me to their list. That's fine by me!

Toobuilder

Log Member
I feel very fortunate that the American homebuilt regulations are so free and unencumbered - particularly in this day and age of "not my fault" and "safety at any cost". I will defend anyone's "right" to do a dumb thing and even kill himself. However, as an American I also realize that these rights carry enormous responsibility at times. And to CR's point, due to the popularity and visibility of this project there is a real possibility that a crash is going to be a game changer for all of us. After all, we do know that there is precident - some years ago a Velocity crashed into a house at North Vegas (KVGT) and that resulted in the banning of first flights AND E-AB ops for quite some time.

There are enough blatant engineering oversights on Raptor that failure is inevitable and meeting project performance goals totally impossible. These facts are readily apparent to those with the skills and experience to recognize them.

I know Peter is trying to turn the homebuilt world on it's ear with Raptor- I think that's possible.

I sure hope he doesn't.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
The people egging him on are equally responsible. If it wasn’t for them telling him to literally ignore safety problems he probably wouldn’t be so stubborn.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
But from a technical standpoint, the performance is definitely possible if properly engineered.

If the engine manages anything over 300hp it has the power to weight ratio of a lightly loaded B-17.

A B-17 can hit just shy of 300mph at high altitude with a similar power to weight, so it’s definitely not impossible.

It’s all a matter of proper engineering.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
...I know Peter is trying to turn the homebuilt world on it's ear with Raptor- I think that's possible...
It will be interesting to see how the media covers it. The FAA site (first stop for most journalists) shows that the Raptor prototype is certificated as experimental, research and development. So reporters won't necessarily be spring-loaded to adopt the "home-made airplane some crazy guy built in his garage" tropes.