Raptor Composite Aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Dexacare, Mar 28, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2019 #2161

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

There are indeed some people on here that can actually do the walking and the talking but as I've asked, how would one fix the situation and a fire isn't a solution.

2. Oct 14, 2019 #2162

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I already have, lol! I've been in the frypan a few times around here!

But I haven't taken a cent from anybody, and my plane will be flying and tested, meet all criteria that I claim, in stock and ready to deliver before I do.

Until then, all critique is moot because I'm just a guy building his own airplane, and it's not commercial until that first cent is handed over.

When i say "critique is moot", that doesn't mean I don't listen to people and take their advice, I most certainly do and have, and will continue to find nuggets of gold from members here. This is an awesome brains trust here, I've taken some fantastic ideas and inspiration to create my own ideas, for which I am happy to donate to when I have ideas or make discoveries, in kind.

When I succeed, I will without doubt have some part of HBA to be thankful for.

Also, I could probably ask for deposits, or a 'Go-Fund Me' sort of deal, but that would then put me on a time schedule and commitment, nah, not for me.

3. Oct 14, 2019 #2163

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

What utter rubbish.

Insulted us in another life? Peter has personally insulted many of us in this life. That's before we get into his trash talking the current homebuilding manufacturers and their 'inferior' products.

He is going to do damage to the homebult industry when his project dies, which it will. he has spent nearly $3 million of other people's money on a TLA (to Peter, but few of us) engineered white elephant that will never get anywhere near it's claimed outrageous performance, if it even manages to fly at all. Those people could have spent that money on something that actually flys instead. Now, they are down $20k and will also have a sour taste in their mouth about homebuilt aircraft. Used Cirrii have gained a lot of appeal. Especially after a loaded one smoked the empty Raptor, at part throttle.

While I hope to be getting into building kits in a few years, I won't be near Raptor territory, but I will definitely be in the homebuilder industry. I would like it to be healthy and untainted by disasters such as the Raptor. Hell, I even look forward to some competition, perhaps from Scott?

If Peter hits his undisclosed milestone, he gets about as much money again of honestly invested deposits to flush down the toilet of ill conceived ideas. Good money after bad.

Seriously, the best thing that homebuilders can do right now is express their concerns about this project, somewhere, somehow. Maybe that will show the public that the next project that doesn't get this level of oppostion might actually still be worth a looking at.

While I may not like some design features on some kits/plans out there, the successful ones are successful for a reason. They work reasonably well. This is the first project that I've felt compelled to voice deep concern about.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    TarDevil and cheapracer like this.
  4. Oct 14, 2019 #2164

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Some things can't be fixed. While it's possible that this is not in that category, it's more likely that it is.

Once one has stepped off the side of the Empire State Building and is down to the 80th floor, there is no answer to "how do we fix this problem"?, no matter how much one may want there to be.

I've been involved in projects at large companies (HP, Agilent, Philips), which were cancelled after multiple millions of $$$ of investment, because it was clear that we couldn't meet the intended goals, no matter what we did or how much MORE $$$ we spent. It happens...

And while the "sunk cost fallacy" leads many folks to continue when they ought to quit, there's a reason it's called "the sunk cost fallacy". See:

which, interestingly enough, calls the "sunk cost fallacy" the "concorde fallacy". Go figure :).

TarDevil likes this.
  5. Oct 14, 2019 #2165

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Well try to stay on the positive side guys.

It’s going to provide a lot of data. Even if it doesn’t exceed existing aircraft, the performance data at high altitude will be useful.

And if he does give up on the Diesel, it may prove to be a useful airframe for another engine.

cheapracer likes this.
  6. Oct 15, 2019 #2166

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Well, someone has to be the bad example to show your kids

7. Oct 15, 2019 #2167

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Cirrus had a failed first design, started over with a more standard design and now is the top seller.

Doggzilla, cheapracer and BoKu like this.
  8. Oct 15, 2019 #2168

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

We hardly needed more of those...

wsimpso1, Rik- and cheapracer like this.
  9. Oct 15, 2019 #2169

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

And how will it get to high altitude? It's current powerplant is questionable for the pattern, it certainly won't get it up high.

The airframe could be re-engined. But enough design errors have already surfaced that would make me very leery of the ones that we don't know about yet...

TarDevil and BoKu like this.
  10. Oct 15, 2019 #2170

rbarnes

rbarnes

rbarnes

And now you understand why Cirrus sells a new 4 seat single engine fixed gear unpressurized airplane for $875,000

And why Peter's initial cost predictions were/are complete utter nonsense

cheapracer and BoKu like this.
  11. Oct 15, 2019 #2171

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

To be fair, Aerospace companies are notoriously inept at handling money.

95% of what Elon Musk has done is to cut costs, and the last 5% was actually new engineering.

His engineers have countless stories about how aerospace companies were paying millions for components that SpaceX ended up building themselves for a few thousand.

Many aerospace components are marked up dozens or even hundreds of times the actual production cost.

It’s much like a half cent aspirin being marked up to $20 in the hospital.

I mean...$30,000+ for a 250hp motor from the 1950s?

cheapracer likes this.
  12. Oct 15, 2019 #2172

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

On the best days that's 1,715 plane sales to recover the cost. How many do they sell a year?

13. Oct 15, 2019 #2173

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

From my incipient contact with Aviation I have been amazed at this singular point. By the way your to low in your pricing.

It's rape at best and thus and probably the reasons that this guy is trying an Audi engine instead of a Volkswagen flat 6 like everyone else is doing.

Everyone says, "insurance cost are built into the engine price" ok, well what about rebuild cost? Is the real story that this is how Warren Buffet gets richer in the insurance business?

cheapracer and Doggzilla like this.
  14. Oct 15, 2019 #2174

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Cirrus has about 7,000 airplanes in the field.

15. Oct 16, 2019 #2175

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

All good points, but lets not forget that there were a few prototypes before Cirrus, especially from Rutan.

The only reason Cirrus had so much development debt was because its first aircraft failed entirely. It then restarted from scratch using the information proven by Rutan prototypes.

If Peter proves anything, inability to put the aircraft into production is not necessarily an issue. Rutan lacked that ability, but that hasnt stopped a dozen different successful production aircraft from using the information they proved.

16. Oct 16, 2019 #2176

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Cirrus bought a Glasair kit and built it to learn about molded fiberglass, not Rutan methods.

cheapracer likes this.
  17. Oct 16, 2019 #2177

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

And I've never seen anything that indicated the Klapmeirs (sp) had aspirations beyond a homebuilt when they designed the VK-30. The idea for a certified aircraft seemed to come later.

Topaz likes this.
  18. Oct 16, 2019 #2178

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I don't know, just watched a video about Dale and his entire life in aviation.

Andy_RR likes this.
  19. Oct 16, 2019 #2179

TFF

TFF

TFF

I can set you up with a VK-30 project with a water cooled Continental 520 Voyager engine. I’m pretty sure all the kits left the factory 88-93.

20. Oct 16, 2019 #2180

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

Doggzilla

All good points, but lets not forget that there were a few prototypes before Cirrus, especially from Rutan.

The only reason Cirrus had so much development debt was because its first aircraft failed entirely. It then restarted from scratch using the information proven by Rutan prototypes.

If Peter proves anything, inability to put the aircraft into production is not necessarily an issue. Rutan lacked that ability, but that hasnt stopped a dozen different successful production aircraft from using the information they proved.