Raptor Composite Aircraft

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Dexacare, Mar 28, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2019 #2101

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Also, there is an "ignore member" function here that simply blocks the posts of the those who you prefer not to read.

it works, and works well. Just right click on the members name on the upper left of their post, open, then click on the "ignore" tab upper right on their HBA homepage ...

ignore.JPG

2. Oct 11, 2019 #2102

RSD

RSD

RSD

I didn't realise that Jeff Kerlo was involved in this project originally. Have been watching his X Plane project and I'm a little concerned that it seems to be proceeding a bit too fast...

3. Oct 11, 2019 #2103

BJC

BJC

BJC

What does that mean?

BJC

canardlover likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2019 #2104

RSD

RSD

RSD

When things like this are proceeding rapidly things can be missed because there is less time for thinking and what if ? I've seen outcomes that aren't as desired in projects that are proceeding faster than would be considered normal.

5. Oct 11, 2019 #2105

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Kind of depends on the person involved. I've known several individuals when tasked with a project seem to sit around doing nothing but drinking coffee and sketching on a pad for a few days. You wonder how they will ever get anything done. :oops:

Then one day when you come to work the project is finished ........... and error free. :cool:

canardlover, pictsidhe, bmcj and 2 others like this.
  6. Oct 11, 2019 #2106

Deuelly

Deuelly

Deuelly

The speed of a project is dictated by project planning and preparation. Your planning dictates the potential for something to be missed. Their plane could be going together faster if they had planned differently but this is the pace they chose.

Brandon

cheapracer likes this.
  7. Oct 11, 2019 #2107

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Not necessarily. As others said, it depends on who’s running the show. Two great examples of ‘get it done quick, but get it done right’ would be Kelly Johnson and Burt Rutan. Both had the ability to pump out new (flying) designs in very short order that performed as predicted.

canardlover and cheapracer like this.
  8. Oct 11, 2019 #2108

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Yep, that works as well, but being someone who prefers hand-flying over autopilot, I prefer to use the manual ignore function over the auto-ignore. Even some of the people I prefer to ignore come up with an occasional gem.

Hot Wings and cheapracer like this.
  9. Oct 12, 2019 #2109

Venom

Venom

Venom

Yes, I understand. Most do build a dedicated airframe to test to ultimate. And I also understand, as you indicate, when that testing is typically accomplished.
    However in this case, it is not clear that the airplane has even been suspended by the wings in the upright position to test 1g...never mind 1.1g.
    It just seems inconceivable to me that an experienced test pilot/engineer would climb into a one of a kind airplane, with contrucsion like we all viewed, without asking for SOME form of a structural integrity test.......

460 mph eh? Must a been a jet, cause it wasn't a sport!

cheapracer and BoKu like this.
  10. Oct 12, 2019 #2110

FarmBoy

FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Now that he will be able to increase his fuel flow, unless he modifies his map and boost parameters accordingly, without more (cool) air via properly matched turbos and ICs, while he may certainly achieve higher HP, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more smoke and higher EGTs. At least he did do one (perhaps two) of the items on my list. Tuesday's update should be quite interesting.

11. Oct 12, 2019 #2111

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Yet another design feature that didn't stick to the wall.

12. Oct 12, 2019 #2112

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

The worst part is that he doesn't understand that the low fuel delivery probably saved the engine.

harrisonaero likes this.
  13. Oct 13, 2019 #2113

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

flyboy2160

In Our Latest Episode: He now thinks his tank/boost pump needs to put out a lot more pressure to feed the high pressure rail feed pump. Unless he only has one pump, which would make his references to the OEM fuel circuit diagram meaningless.

What pilot in his right mind would touch this thing after seeing stuff like this?

14. Oct 13, 2019 #2114

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

What scares me is all the things that he is having to fix because he didn't read the instructions or refused advice from an experienced person. Jeff is not talking about the project, which is telling.

Nosegear: arbitrary rake angle, threw in oil that seemed like a good idea rather than spend 15 minutes googling how Lancair specifies it. Fuel system, didn't check how Audi did it before substituting their known good parts. Turbos, shunned professional sizing advice and successfully reduced power and increased BSFC and EGT over the stock Audi system.

Notice a pattern? He takes well engineered stuff that works as standard, then 'upgrades' it so that it no longer works properly. Then there's the engineering that he's done from scratch, like the redrive and the ailerons...

There is sure to be plenty more that is still to rear its bastard head. This will likely go on until some major failure destroys the project, hopefully on the ground. With his new found engine tuning knowledge, that may be quite soon.

TarDevil and cheapracer like this.
  15. Oct 13, 2019 #2115

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

I’m starting to see some patterns.

What conclusions can we draw upon the raptors design versus other similar designs?

Velocity
    Commuter Craft
    Raptor

There might be others that I am unaware of, but from an ignorant perspective these look a lot alike. So why was the velocity successful, why was the commuter craft successful (well at least it flew) and what has Raptor done so differently then the other two with exception to engines.

16. Oct 13, 2019 #2116

TFF

TFF

TFF

Velocity was designed to be a canard airplane. Raptor designed to be an air conditioned cup holder and glove box in the shape of a canard airplane.

BoKu, flyboy2160, bmcj and 3 others like this.
  17. Oct 13, 2019 #2117

BJC

BJC

BJC

Check out the highly hyped Valkyrie, supposedly developed by an engineer.
    https://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/cobalt-50-valkyrie-aircraft/

Edit: There is a difference in having an engineering degree, and being an engineer.

BJC

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    canardlover, Dana, BoKu and 1 other person like this.
  18. Oct 13, 2019 #2118

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

There is far more to aircraft design than shape or planform. With misapplication of systems integration and structure, one could create a visual clone of a 172 but end up with an evil handling, structurally questionable and poor performing mess.

In airplanes, the details count.

canardlover, gtae07, TarDevil and 2 others like this.
  19. Oct 13, 2019 #2119

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

I remember when this was all over the Bay Area news.. looks like a dead project as they don’t even have a website.

BoKu likes this.
  20. Oct 13, 2019 #2120

BJC

BJC

BJC