• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rans Coyote S-4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway John

While the RV-4 project may be some two years or so away from completion, I was looking for something else I could fly for now. I thought this plane might fit the bill initially, but not so sure now. Quite a few on barnstormers for what seems like a reasonably price. But info is sketchy on it, so if others have more info, I’d like to hear what you have to say.

I’m particularly interested in why so many are coming in with an empty weight of over 400 lbs. I have yet to see one under 400 lbs for that matter. What gives? This spec sheet from Rans says the empty weight is supposed to be 315 lbs with the Rotax 447 or 325 lbs with the Rotax 503. Also, from what another builder told me, he’d prefer having at least 400 feet of runway even though he can get up a bit sooner than that, but still not even close to Rans spec sheet says with the 503 you supposedly only need 80 feet for takeoff.

Also notice what it says for the limit load: 4+2-. Another site mentions 6+3- that wasn’t the Rans official homesite. I called Ran’s to find out if the 4+2- was the ultimate load or design load. I talked to several, and none knew the answer. If the ultimate load is 4+2- and most of these planes are coming in over 100 lbs higher than they are supposed to, that starts to leave a considerably lesser safety margin, I think, and can only imagine what it does to the flying characteristics.

Rans has a good reputation among builders, and they make some great aircraft. While talking to them I also learned that they discontinued this plane. They said lack of sales, and it not being a true ultralight in a legal weight sense of 254 lbs is what forced them to start concentrating on their other models. Ultralight News also gives this plane a pretty good rating.

Anyone ever fly one of these or know about what the actual design and ultimate load really is and for what weight? Not too many seem to know about this plane, and Rans wasn't much help. Here is their spec sheet.

http://www.rans.com/s4spec.html

Back