Quantcast

Ramp geometry - Landing gear design

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BenoitLescot

Hi there,

Am working on the landing gear for my project, I was having a thought about the ramp geometry, basically I want my gear to be as low as possible for obvious weight reasons, but one specific about flying-boats is when pulling up the ramp, a picture better than 1000 words so here is what I'm worried about :

Is that likely to be a problem or are the ramps out there offer very smooth transitions ? what is the typical ramp angle ?

thanks all !

BenoitLescot

Good, at the moment, I can accomodate 25° which has to be more than enough.. can't imagine going up a 25° ramp anyway, which is also above the 15° tipback angle.. interesting, then I suppose flying-boats must have a few extra tipback angle degrees (i.e. wheels further aft) to be able to climb up the ramp without going on the tail..

thanks autoreply !

Last edited:

Kristoffon

Pretty much every boat ramp I've seen has a rounded top, negating your concern.

It would pay off for you to survey a few ramps you might want to climb and measure both their inclination and roundedness.

BenoitLescot

Thanks, maybe in my next life I'll have some spare time for that ;) I'll keep a note though

Seriously, wouldn't that be part of the VFR aerodrome charts ?

Dan Thomas

Are you going to have an airplane that sits so low that it can't effectively rotate for liftoff or flare for landing?

Dan

BenoitLescot

why would I do that ? I was just trying to shed some light on a gray part of my knowledge of seaplanes operations, now come to think of it, floats, as in floats mounted on a seaplane not flying-boat, most definitely have a keel way lower than the keel of a flying-boat, so keel height between the wheels shouldn't be a problem for my current design