Rami AV-22 transponder antenna ground plane in chromoly fuse.

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by C5Engineer, Feb 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1

C5Engineer

C5Engineer

C5Engineer

So there's a lot of info out there but it's tough to figure out what's accurate. I'm installing a microair transponder with a Rami AV-22 antenna in my new Avid Flyer. How critical is the ground plane shape and size to the proper operation? I looked at a factory built Rans the other day and it was just a little square hooked to the fuse tubes with adel clamps. Anyone have any pics of a set up that works?

2. Feb 4, 2017 #2

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

kent Ashton

As I recall, from what Bob Nuckolls has said (aeroelectric.com) the size and shape of the ground plane are not that important. 6-10 inches across will work. Round or octagonal. Mine are about 8", round. The important thing is to have line-of-sight to the radar station in all phases of flight with no engines or bags of water (pilot) in the L-O-S. The angle is pretty shallow when you are 30 miles out at 5000'AGL

There is a search feature on the Aeroelectric mail list http://forums.matronics.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=4a40c48646893fb720bd7aa0dc69b635

Pops and BJC like this.
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #3

C5Engineer

C5Engineer

C5Engineer

Thanks!