Ragwing Stork or STOL King

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TommyD

Does anyone know much about this design - I have read a few of the posts on this site and there has been some inference that the alleged take off distances for these 2 planes are unrealistic?

I am interested in a STOL homebuilt project but have no idea where to start - there seem to be hundreds of plans out there but I have to say that some of them look like they have been drawn up on the back of a napkin!

Where does one start looking for a design and a designer that has proven the test of time and building method but that is still relatively easy to build from scratch and plans with no prior experience?

sergiu tofanel

I looked up the specifications for the aircraft. Here are the important numbers you need to know:

Stall speed: 15mph, or 6.7m/s
Wing area: 180 sq ft, or 16.5 sq m
Gross weight: 1200 lbs, or 5300 N

For these performance numbers, a back of the napkin calculation reveals that the Cl (lift coeffeicient) for the aircraft must be about 12. I know of no present aircraft today that can achieve this kind of performance. So assuming a more reasonable lift coefficient of about 1.5, the best case scenario is a stall speed of about 18 m/s, or about 45 mph. So the performance claims are quite inflated. If the seller is not honest about the performance claims, one must wonder what else is he not honest about?

For someone with no prior building experience, I would recomment a kit plane. A good one that comes to mind is one of the many STOL kits offered by Zenith Air.

STOL CH 701 Performance and Specifications: Real Short Take Off and Landing performance

roverjohn

Sergui, I'm pretty sure the quoted stall speed is with full flaps and not at full gross.

snaildrake

I love Storches! Not that these giant grasshoppers are practical for most of us...but wouldn't you love to be able to fly one on and off a mountaintop?

Aside from the Zenith 701/750 well-engineered plans for STOL planes are not thick on the ground. The word is that the Ragwing Stork makes its feathery 500 lb. empty weight with bare minimum construction, including plastic wheels.

Check out the 75% Criquet Storch from S. America distributed in the USA by U-Fly-It in Florida. It has a 4130 airframe, uses a 100HP Rotax for power, and should be an LSA. Dennis at U-Fly-It told me they have a plane in FL that will be available for demos as soon as it passes trials. No kits have been delivered so far.

There is also the brick sh**house Pazmany PL-9, a bigger Storch replica that grosses 1800 lbs and uses a big Lycoming. I saw a wonderful video of the prototype flying in southern Utah. They seem to be in the same category as the Polish Wilga, a more modern successor to the Storch.

Check out too the Johnston Tiger Cub Sport 2, a side-by-side from gusseted aluminum and fabric. Probably because there is no welding involved, there seem to more of these a-buildin' than the others mentioned. -Dan

Last edited:

sergiu tofanel

Sergui, I'm pretty sure the quoted stall speed is with full flaps and not at full gross.
Full flaps will give a Cl of no more than 2.0 (or being extremely generous, maybe a Cl of 2.2-2.3). Again, using the basic lift formula, one still requires a stall speed of more than 30mph. As far as takeoff distances for these aircraft, I am sure that they require more than 30 feet to become airborne!

Performance figures aside, I think that a beginner has no business building a plane from scratch, without serious outside help. And in this case, one must look for a supplier who is willing to hold the customer's hand through every step of the building process. That's why a first time builder should seriously consider buying a prefabricated kit. Or at least build and fly a scale model of the aircraft before building the real thing!

snaildrake

Check out the 75% Criquet Storch from S. America distributed in the USA by U-Fly-It in Florida. It has a 4130 airframe, uses a 100HP Rotax for power, and should be an LSA. Dennis at U-Fly-It told me they have a plane in FL that will be available for demos as soon as it passes trials. No kits have been delivered so far.
Update: Dennis reports 15 Criquet Storches are flying, with 3 in the US. So it's very real - don't think there are that many complete Ragwing Storks or STOL Kings. -Dan

[video=youtube;xfzxTuJ85A4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzxTuJ85A4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

autoreply

Two remarks:
*In those movies there's headwind. I'm pretty sure a 747 can lift off in 100 ft with a 150 kt headwind
*Given the big prop and powerful engines those deliver a large amount of lift (by blowing over the wing). While nice for T/O that's pretty useless on landing, especially with an engine out landing, the very moment you need your low speed handling the most..

TFF

The claim for the Slepcev Storch will fly at 22mph with full flaps and 30% power or a no roll takeoff with a 16 mph wind. All these 3/4 Storchs claim about the same things. The big thing is cross winds with any of these types of planes. There is a damaged Slepcev in the hangar of the Aircam I take care of; a gust spun it around and then up on a wing tip; kind of blew away like an umbrella. I know the Aircam is not much fun when the wind is 15 mph or more; that is why most flights are early morning or late afternoon around here. The best the Aircam will do is about 200ft TO and 300ft landing, but it will get to pattern altitude just after 1/2 way of our 3500ft airport.

autoreply

The claim for the Slepcev Storch will fly at 22mph with full flaps and 30% power or a no roll takeoff with a 16 mph wind.
Would you mind if I'd say that's clear nonsense?

To achieve that, your lift coefficient has to be roughly twice that the most advanced triple-slotted flaps around, even when taking into account the prop wash over the wing. Reynolds numbers don't make it any better.
Simple physics versus marketing tales. Nature always wins...

Wrongway John

You better check to see if the Stol King people (or I should say person, since I understand it is basically a one man operation now) will even return your calls or e-mail messages. They are notorious for never ever getting back on a great deal of many people including me. I think the guy that has this company now has issues.

Find a company that has plenty of positive feedback from its customers, and actually can demonstrate that the plane does what it claims it will do.

JOHN135

These STOL airplanes are great. Where would someone learn how to fly these airplanes. I am in Chicago IL. Should I get my airplane license first and then learn on STOL airplanes?