• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ragwing RW4 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

This is my start-over project.

I will be building a Ragwing RW4 like this:

RagWingRW4.jpg

I have been contemplating a couple of cosmetic changes, like a taller turtle deck and a sliding canopy. Otherwise it will be per the plans. Although there are so many 'options' in the plans that it seems strange to still call it a RW4.

I also am still pondering the landing gear. The spoke wheels look classic, but I already have brakes and axles that fit on Azusa wheels. There are also several options in the plans for the landing gear struts.

Power will be my 4A084 engine, and one of the options in the plans is a stretch fuselage to handle the larger engine. With the 40 hp engine and 600 lb gross, it should be pretty close to the performance of the original classics from the 1930s.

Today I actually did get started on the project. After cleaning up the Flugzeugfabrik a bit, I made a mess again by turning a length of 0.90 inch Douglas Fir into a length of 0.75 inch Douglas Fir.

Back