Ragwing RW19 wood and fabric Stork (Storch)

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by John wadman, Jul 26, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 3, 2019 #41

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

D8B40695-C1F2-4A61-A4BC-439C0C791D96.jpeg Sooo depressed! Weighted my drilled wheel, hub, brake hub, brake drum and lug nut combo and I only saved 7 oz. I couldn’t believe the math so I went back and weighed the parts again. Either holes don’t weigh as much as I thought OR the postal place has “fixed” their scales to charge more. Very bummed. BUT. . . Those drilled parts look super light so there’s the psychological factor. . . So that’s nice!

2. Sep 5, 2019 #42

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

E04F61AA-EBA1-477E-B2DD-ED70A2033B0F.jpeg 3575C749-8137-4E3D-8965-05A64B5B0891.jpeg Found these urethane bushings at Advanced Auto. They were hanging in a peg in the front area of the store in performance section. This is packaging. 8 in a pack with nice thick grade 8 washers. Thinking of using these for my 1/2 VW engine mount bushings.

3. Sep 6, 2019 #43

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Building the motor mount. Welding is fun.

4. Sep 12, 2019 #44

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

87827DD1-40BC-47FB-A975-A3F27387C7DC.jpeg 87827DD1-40BC-47FB-A975-A3F27387C7DC.jpeg MIGing up the motor mount for the RW-6. I have one more piece to cut/fit/tack and then I can get serious about burning wire and finish welding the whole “mess”. Yeah! Yeah! I know! TIG or Acetylene torch. Don’t have either of those but I do have a MIG so. . . I’ll have some cleanup to do with the special grinder bits I bought at Sun N Fun. I did the gear legs and they’re strong and pretty nice to look at after cleaning up the welds. I’ll post a finished photo once it’s finished and cleaned.

FritzW, MadProfessor8138 and jmt1991 like this.
  5. Sep 12, 2019 #45

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Why did it post photo twice?

6. Sep 13, 2019 #46

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

I cut/fit/tacked the entire motor mount and then made the mistake of taking it off the airframe and removed the motor to finish weld it. Can you believe that two of the engine mount bolts ended up 3/4” off center to center from the heat of the welding process? I had to grind and cut the thing apart and replace pieces and reweld the mount in place. I think I have it now.

MadProfessor8138 likes this.
  7. Sep 14, 2019 #47

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Welding the mount in place causes a problem. If you chose to do it this way you’ll need to make some wooden bushings (preferably of a very hard wood like oak or harder) with a hole saw that fit in place of the rubber or urethane bushings. Rubber and urethane dislike the temperatures of the welding process and will catch fire and melt at an alarmingly fast rate. The flames, smell and smoke created are very unpleasant and remind me of a very bad experience I had once in a Banana Republic during an anti-American riot. Being that I am an American made it an even less desirable a place to be! Nuff said! You might be wondering how I know so much about these things. Experience! I’m a man of experience! Was lucky to find new bushings at Advance Auto Parts for $5 plus tax per corner of the engine. (About $22). The wood will catch fire too but it disintegrates at a much slower rate! I’d recommend having a fire extinguisher handy but a soaking wet rag works good to douse the flames. It’s actually beneficial to let the weld cool slowly but the plane is wood and fabric and the sticks of the airframe would make perfect kindling to burn the entire shop down . . . So use common sense. It’s a trade off.

8. Sep 15, 2019 #48

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

55F48B1B-5BC0-4ACE-AAB5-7F14BF98FE57.jpeg Motor mount is finished and painted. I got three of the firewall bolts to line up but the fourth is a slight bugger. I’ll need my son to pull down and to the right as I tap it in from inside. I have to replace the hex nuts with approved locknuts. But hopefully tomorrow we can mount the engine and put that last bolt in.

9. Sep 16, 2019 #49

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

A74A3132-3EFC-413A-824E-E9F58080F5D6.jpeg My son Andres helped some guy move a bed and noticed a wrecked dirt bike in the garage. The guy was going to “throw it away” but didn’t want to haul it to dump and pay weight so Andres scored a dirt bike with broken front fork yokes. Looks like I may have my front gear for the Storch partially worked out. Being that these are off a racing dirt bike they have looots of travel!

jmt1991 likes this.
  10. Sep 24, 2019 #50

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

That beautiful black motor mount doesn't work. Two of the diagonals interfere with the intake. With vibration there just isn't going to be enough room so that the manifold doesn't touch the mount and that will cause something to fatigue eventually. I scrapped it and started over and then got too busy with the home build to finish it yet. Bummed. Good news is that I'm taking my sons to the Petite Le Mans GT and Prototype races at Road Atlanta early next month for Andres' 28th birthday. We are leaving in the night on Thursday to arrive at Aircraft Spruce on Friday morning first thing to buy all of the plywood for the STOL Ragwing bush plane. I hope the weather is good. We will camp out at the track but I need to wrap the plywood really well as it will be in the back of the Dodge for the weekend.

MadProfessor8138 likes this.
  11. Oct 4, 2019 #51

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

We built a new motor mount and I think this one is going to work. Photos to follow once it’s cleaned up.

12. Oct 11, 2019 #52

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Have the new (second attempt) motor mount for the RW6 welded together but still have to clean it up and paint it. It incorporates a 1/4" aluminum plate mounted to the back of the motor with the rubber bushings set up. The plate allows me to move the tubes of the welded portion to better locations to allow clearance for the intake manifold, etc.The plan now is to drive to Peach Tree City GA and get the plywood for the RW 19-20 on our way to Road Atlanta to watch Le Petit Le Mans endurance auto race. 10 ours of prototype cars and Gt cars. It's my oldest sons 28th b day so both sons and i are going to the race as a bday present.

jmt1991 likes this.