Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by cdlwingnut, Feb 28, 2017.
the first panel of the leading edge is now glued in place and drying.
another panel for the leading edge cut out soaked and clamped and strapped in place to prebend.
It's been a busy week, I did find a good exhaust system for my engine so if it ever warms up i can take it out and try to run it. I got one coat of varnish on the inside of the plywood leading edge that had been clamped and strapped to the leading edge to pre-bend all week. Hopefully another coat will go on tomorrow and i can get it glued on.
I got a little time this afternoon and got another piece of plywood glued to the leading edge of the wing. this one has been clamped in place for a week so it was pretty well pre-bent and went on pretty easy. I had some extra t-88 so used it to get one of the edge plywood strips glued on.
I took the straps and clamps off the second panel and then got the 3rd one soaked and clamped and strapped on to prebend.
some pictures from the prebending
today i removed the plywood leading edge, marked where the t-88 will go and put the first coat of varnish on the rest.
I mixed a little batch of t-88 and got some of the support members that keep the fabric from pulling too hard on the end ribs glued in place.
the wing panel is glued on. there is a little ridge at the bottom where it didn't line up perfectly but i think i would do more damage trying to fix it then what will show once the tape and fabric is on it.
I also had time to do some trimming on the inner rib of the right wing and get it dry fitted to the spars getting a little start on the assembly of the next wing.
i had some help around so i got the cables run from the control stick to the bell crank with turn buckles installed.
It's been a busy week, not much work on the little piet. I did get some work done today though I took the landing gear back off. I will hopefully get the brakes fitted this weekend to the wheels and axles then can reinstall the gear, after i get the fuselage out the door of the little room it is in. I also did a little more work on the wing where the ailerons will be attached.
spent Sat at a friends making airplane parts for him and I. We had a great time. We built the parts for my breaks to attach to and keep my wheels from sliding in, And my muffler is now strait instead of bent out to the side.
Today I got the last strips of plywood on the top of my wings and the last cross member glued in place. when the T-88 dries i can turn the wing over and do the bottom side.
flipped the wing over and installed some of the members reinforcing the area the ailerons attach to the wing.
some of the reinforcing/gusset strips are also installed. tomorrow maybe the rest will go on.
I glued the plywood strips to the area around where the ailerons go on the underside of the wing and did some work on the aileron.
with better weather progress is slowing down but have gotten a little more done on the aileron
I glued the 1.5mm plywood strips to the bottom of aileron. and the wing is flipped back right side up
I finished the aileron assembly, now it is ready for varnish and attaching the hinges. I then cut a heel brake peddle out of aluminum angle. We will see if it works how i plan or not.
Yesterday I got time to glue the ribs to the spars getting a good start on the assembly of the second wing. I also made two more brake peddles. Why two? because the first one i made i forgot to reverse the dimensions and ended up with a second left one, so I had to reverse the dimensions and make a right one.
Today I cut the drag braces and test fit them but haven't glued them yet.
rainy day today that wasn't good for flying so did some building. The drag and compression braces are glued in, Keeping it square was still a challenge but I think i got it. I also finished the brake peddles so they are ready to install. I think i will try them out on a piece of cheep scrap plywood before putting them on my good floor board.
I moved some things around the shop today, the fuselage is out of the little room and the nearly finished wing was moved back in. The second wing is off the table and also out so i can finish it. and my table is cleared for whatever is next to do.
I cut out the nose ribs for the second wing and primed some of the steel fittings. Oh and now that the fuselage is off the sawhorses i couldn't resist sitting in it again.
Separate names with a comma.