• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ragwind wood recomendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E28POWERM20

Ragwing wood recomendation

I'll be starting a Ragwing RW11 Ragabond built in a few months. I'm currently researching wood options and trying to determine the ideal wood for the majority of the airframe. Sitka Spruce being the obvious choice, but expensive. The other options locally(Portland, Oregon) are Eastern White Pine, Western Hemlock, Douglas Fir, and also Sitka Spruce(quality unknown). The empty weight of the RW11 is listed as 425lbs, but Roger doesn't list wha wood was used to come to that number. I don't want to use a strong but heavy wood and destroy my useful load. Am I overthinking this?

Western Hemlock was my first choice, due to it's strength/weight ratio. It's grown locally, and I can also get very nice boards from Lowes/Home Depot, that are <1 mile from my house. Re-sawing to size is not a problem either.

Thoughts? I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision considering how important this subject is.

Ian

Also, is it reasonable to increase the gross weight based on the strength of the wood? Example: Western Hemlock is about 14% stronger than Sitka Spruce, but only 7% heavier. Could I increase gross weight by 7%? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Back