Radio Control

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Goody34, Dec 3, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1

Goody34

Goody34

Goody34

Sorry if this is off topic but i figured there is probably someone around here knows a little somthing about this. A moderator can feel free to delete it if it is too off topic. Ive been wanting to build a an rc aircraft that is controlled by my laptop, more of a uav i guess. I know how to get a camera to stream video onto my computer from the airplane but i want to make it so i can control the motors and servos from my computer. I have found things on the web about people making computer controlled radios but those just do morse code and as far as i can tell are single channel. Does anyone know where i would begin to make multichannel computer radio controller? My intention is to fly the aircraft with a joystick while viewing the streaming video from my laptop.

2. Dec 3, 2007 #2

orion

orion

orion

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but try www.ifirobotics.com. The robot controls are generic and can be adapted to just about any platform. The system is capable of handling a sizable number of channels, is capable of remote operation and is fully programmable. I've talked to these folks a few times and found them to be extremely knowledgeable and quite helpful.

3. Dec 3, 2007 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

I've seen setups for controlling R/C servos directly using a computer's parallel port, but none for controlling the transmitter (I suppose you could be reallyy kludgy and use the computer to move servos to move the transmitter's control sticks... OK maybe not.

If you want to fly it with the stick why not just use the standard R/C transmitter?

It has been done, though. In 2003 a group of R/C modelers led by Maynard Hill flew an R/C model across the Atlantic Ocean... though as I recall they used standard R/C controls for the takeoff and landing, and a computer controlled autopilot for the flight.

-Dana

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I'm wasting much too much time on the internet,
    and probably, so are you.

4. Dec 3, 2007 #4

Goody34

Goody34

Goody34

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/computers/radio/computer_controlled_transmitter.html
    this is more what i was looking for. I was wanting to build my own multichannel rc transmitter because im a poor college kid and i think it would be fun. The crystal oscillators that are discussed in that link are very cheap, like $3.
    I think that with the transmitter discussed in that link, and the proper computer code, a servo motor could be controlled from a lap top. Is this wrong? I dont know much about radio waves other than what i learned in my physics classes. If my thinking on controlling the servo motor w/ the disscused transmitter is correct, how do you make it multichannel? Add more oscillators maybe? Im very surprised i havent been able to find more on the net about this sort of thing. I find it very unlikely that i am the first idiot who wants to fly there rc with their laptop.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #5

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

You might get better information from the R/C Groups Forums, similar to this one but devoted entirely to R/C models.

-Dana

The difference between golfing and flying: In golfing you hear "whack... ****!" and in flying you hear "****... whack!"