• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Radial VW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabover

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread about water cooled heads. I learned a lot. For an inexpensive engine the VW is attractive. If I were to give one a try I might put on the weld on band and use antifreeze cooling. I think I would also prefer a PSRU off the clutch end.

I stumbled upon a Yahoo video. It is of a Radial engine using a lot of VW parts. The heads were cut down and turned round. My impression was that the cooling was too greatly reduced. I drew the conclusion that the engine was put together as either a personnel challenge just to see if it could be done, or it was an intermediate stage of development.

After looking at Rotec I came to the conclusion that it is a fine engine. Expensive to buy, expensive to overhaul.

So, here is the question. Could a radial be developed using VW and other common automotive parts, especially for the overhaul stuff?

The idea would be to make as few hard parts, cases cams etc. as possible. For the parts that get replaced at overhaul shell bearings, bushings seals gaskets, oil pumps etc. These should be VW or other common and inexpensive parts.

Radials work in odd numbered cylinders. 5,7,9 are practical. 5 is not sufficiently bigger than a flat 4. 7 is close to double the size of 4 as is 9. The 7 should produce about 125HP and the 9 about 150. The front case would be the ideal place for a gear reduction. I have assumed no boost in the intake pressure.

I’d like to keep the initial cost down. Less than a Rotec but a lot more than a VW flat 4. The advantage would be at overhaul.

So, comments? Was that fellow that made the Youtube actually on to something?

Last edited:
Back