• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Radial engine - cylinder helmets type cowling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenoitLescot

I am looking for references regarding engine cowling, more specifically radial, cylinder helmet type of cowling like on the pictures below.
I'm looking for information relating the the actual cooling of the cylinders as opposed to aerodynamic drag info.

Could I just replicate the cowling bellow on a MP14 and it'll work ? I guess one could experiment but has anybody seen any info on this ?

As an option I was thinking to build a test stand, and run say a 150cc mono-cylinder bike engine with the proposed cowling to get data but I'm not sure how well that would compare to the actual engine/size and whenever it would just be a waste of time/money.

The two pictures below are from different airplanes, the Bernard HV-40 (which I'm interested in) and the Short-Bristol Crusader (on which I have aero data regarding cowl studies).
Both are very similar in that they have front and back fairings for each cylinders, each fairing having some kind of internal airflow as well.

Also more generally, is there a figure of how much airflow a cylinder needs for proper cooling ? I can see that question alone being the title of a very long presentation.. anyway :)

Last but not least, if you know of any other airplane having similar cylinder fairing, please post it so I can search a bit on them..

Have a nice Sunday.. first day of the working week where I am :)

34-1.jpg946-3.jpg

Back