• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quik-Check Fuel Testing Solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
I bought some Quik-Check fuel testing solution: https://secure.eaa.org/stc/tester.html
If you haven't heard about it, one drop in a sample of fuel with a quick shake will test for ethanol and water. If the fuel turns blue-green, it has ethanol in it. It won't tell you the percentage of ethanol. If the fuel has water, the water will turn bright blue. If your fuel has no water nor ethanol, the drop of blue Quik-Check falls to the bottom of the test sample.

I asked Quik-Check a couple questions, and here's his answers: Is it okay to pour the tested sample into your fuel tank? "Yes, it's just like putting 1 drop of water into your fuel tank. That drop, along with the drops from your subsequent tests will settle to the bottom of the fuel tank, where it may eventually find its way to the engine. It is too small an amount to have any effect... probably less than normal condensation." I don't necessarily agree that it's okay to put even tiny amounts of water in my fuel tank.

I pour fuel into my tank through a Mr. Funnel filtering funnel that's so fine, it filters out water. Will that also filter the Quik-Check out of the sample? "Yes." I tested this, and he's right.

I like this testing method much better than shaking a sample of fuel with water to test for ethanol. It is quicker and easier, and you don't have to pollute the air by pouring the sample on the ground. Unburned fuel vapors are a nasty pollutant.

If you test a sample of fuel in a small, clear container, like a test tube, and the fuel has no water nor ethanol, you can even reuse that drop of Quik-Check as many times as you want. Pour most of the fuel off the top, back into your fuel can, leaving a tiny amount of fuel along with the drop of Quik-Check. Save that for your next test. If you don't seal the test vessel, the fuel will gradually evaporate, leaving the drop of Quik-Check. The only disadvantage might be that the evaporating fuel will gradually build a residue in the test vessel.

Back