quicksilver tail brace wires

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ronr

has anyone added tail brace wires to a quicksilver? If so what difference dose it make in the flight characteristics of the plane?

challenger_II

Before attempting the change, I would contact Bever, at Air-Tech, and consult with him. He is pretty much the driving force behind the Quicksilver line these days and is very knowledgeable on the airframes.

radfordc

I added tail brace wires to my Quicksilver 30 years ago. Don't think it made any difference in flying but seemed like a good idea.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Quicksilvers have had various combinations and geometries of tubes and wired throughout the years. Probably nothing wrong with adding some wires, but keep in mind that wires can oscillate or go slack under some loads, so make sure that wires are far enough from the prop arc to avoid becoming tangled. Also, if attached to the king post, make sure the tension labels won’t overload the post.

ronr

The ones I am looking at are supplied by air tehc.
one set goes from the top of the rudder to the ends of the elevator then to the tail skid. the other set goes from the back wing spar at the lift strut to the outside edge of the elevator. the way it is now you can move the tail up and down 5 to 6 inches and forward and back 3 to 4 inches.

Lucky Dog

Supporting Member
I have them on my 2S and have flown many hours in a 2S without them. Forget it. Can't tell the difference and I hit the wires all the time while I'm pre-flighting.

quick582

I also have them on my GT400 and can't tell any difference with and without them. And just like lucky dog, they get in the way. I'm just too lazy to remove them.

Lucky Dog

Supporting Member
The ones I am looking at are supplied by air tehc.
one set goes from the top of the rudder to the ends of the elevator then to the tail skid. the other set goes from the back wing spar at the lift strut to the outside edge of the elevator. the way it is now you can move the tail up and down 5 to 6 inches and forward and back 3 to 4 inches.
Get the ones that run from the fin to the stabilizer, but don't bother with the ones that tie the fin to the trailing edge of the wings. Almost everyone uses the bracing wires between the fin and stabilizer. Also, Quicksilvers are very flexible airframes with or without the extra bracing wires. That flex neither alters its stability, nor detracts much from its control effectiveness. The "circle of nothing," where you can move the control stick a small amount in any direction without affecting flight - it's part of the Quicksilver experience :cool: .