• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quickest way to build a Rag and Tube Biplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

Hey guys,

Currently a hypothetical as not seriously looking into building one and was debating posting this in the General Question but decided on here as there might be discussion of new technology.

So say I wanted to build a Stolp Starduster Too: Tube fuselage and wooden wings with plywood ribs. What would be a good way to, excuse the buzzwords, "leverage existing computerized technology" to simplify construction.

I'm thinking large format CNC router to cut ribs and miscellaneous wooden parts. The plywood vs built up ribs on the Starduster work in favor for this. Currently in the process of building this thing V1 Engineering Lowrider 3 capable of processing a 4x8 sheet for another project...along with my trusty Shaper Origin. This also includes jigs for both wooden and steel tube construction.

For the tubing, there are currently services to both cut and notch the sections to size.

Any flaws you see in these options and any other ways you see to shave down build-time? Most of my limited aircraft fabrication experience is with metal or composite, so this is more of a thought experiment for now...though if the build time is low enough, I might be more serious!

Back