• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quick question: Gear legs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
Rodolphe Grunberg, when designing his HM293, drew plans for a tricycle undercarriage. His drawings and sketches specify 15mm thick aluminum. Here is what exists on the subject in the English version of the HM293 plans.

Tricycle undercarriage details.jpg

I could follow this to the letter, but I recall Orion (I think) saying that steel worked out actually lighter than Aluminum due to the fact that you needed less of it, and that it also was able to absorb more than Ali. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know the correct terms, but I understood that steel was better at absorbing impacts.

Anyone with any expertise in this area? And if so, what thickness of steel would I use instead? And for that matter, what dimensions would be appropriate?

Regards,
Duncan

Back