• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quick build wooden wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

This is version #1 of a wing I made for an "all CNC cut, tab and slot, jig-less" HiMax I was thinking about building. I came up with so many ideas for an improved version #2 wing that I only built this one wing panel. I also wanted a more generic fuselage to test different wings and tail feathers on so the HiMax went to the back burner for now. I'll have pictures of the version #2 wing on my Neirrh XXL build log soon.

First, the ribs:

IMG_2716.jpg The ribs are 1/8" Birch aircraft ply with 1/8" ply doubler "sticks" that glue to slots on each side of the truss diagonals. They get a 1/8" x 1/2" ply capstrip later on.

2013-01-21 17.11.02.jpg Here's what the sticks and slots look like.

IMG_2718.jpg I glued the sticks in with TightBond III. I was looking for a easy, one part, adhesive that was locally available. I didn't make that decision lightly, I did a bunch of testing before I went with TightBond.

IMG_2717.jpg Tabs on the nose ribs fit into slots on the main ribs. The gap between the two is for the spar web. The two little holes in the nose rib are for the static and pitot lines. The larger hole is for wing tip light wiring.

2013-01-21 16.35.36.jpg All of the support structure for the aileron hinges and bell crank are pre-drilled and are indexed by temporary bolts while the glue dries.

2013-01-13 15.19.55.jpg All of the ribs, sticks, spar webs, cap strips etc... are cut in one operation. It took about an hour per 4'x8' sheet and it took two and a half sheets for both wing panels.

...Next the spars

Attachments

• Wing 2.jpg
    Wing 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,028
Back