Quantcast

Questions about owning a grass strip airport

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SVSUSteve

Many French airports let it be and only cut a small strip on the main runway.
I'm going to refrain from making a wise crack about what French airports and French women (at least stereotypically) have in common.

208Caravan

I have a case 830D....1960 something-ish year model. It is an implement, but not too maneuverable. It has the Case-O-Matic transmission. Rather interesting, a manual trans with a torque converter. The clutch pedal is just a valve....no stiff clutch pedal to stand on...

Glad I don't have 250 acres of hay to contend with. I use my tractor mostly to maintain my driveway and bush-hog the borders. Lately I've been using the ZTR instead of the tractor for the 5 acres of grass.

Unless you live in the land of expensive hangars, the local municipal airport is not a bad deal.

Though I am still jealous of those living on their own strip......
Dern, you've got an oldie Case. I've got two 2010 Case Farmall 85U's w/ the Sync Shuttle Trans, a 2009 95U it's got the Power Shuttle, and 2007 JD 5625. They all have loaders except for one of the 85U's. Along with two folding wing mowers, 2 disc mowers, 3 hay tedders, 2 hay rakes, 2 round bailers, 2 squire bailers, two 40' gooseneck flatbeds, and three late 90's dodge 3500's. :nervous:

Monty

Dern, you've got an oldie Case. I've got two 2010 Case Farmall 85U's w/ the Sync Shuttle Trans, a 2009 95U it's got the Power Shuttle, and 2007 JD 5625. They all have loaders except for one of the 85U's. Along with two folding wing mowers, 2 disc mowers, 3 hay tedders, 2 hay rakes, 2 round bailers, 2 squire bailers, two 40' gooseneck flatbeds, and three late 90's dodge 3500's. :nervous:
Mine has a loader of sorts....it's powered by the PTO....and.....it.........is..........S.....L.....O......WWWWWW!!!

I sure do wish it had a shuttle shift...man do I get tired of shifting between F and R...

So even though I am not envious of the hay acreage....I do covet the shuttle shift and the loader.....but if you saw my homemade box-blade constructed from a dozer blade with rippers and height powered by one of the remotes...we might be even....well not really...:gig:

and my Dodge is currently having the front axle rebuilt.....along with the steering linkage, the sway bar, ball joints, the driveshaft, and the 4WD actuator.....CRAP$$$$!!:mad2:

This is starting to eat into the airplane fund!

208Caravan

Mine has a loader of sorts....it's powered by the PTO....and.....it.........is..........S.....L.....O......WWWWWW!!!

I sure do wish it had a shuttle shift...man do I get tired of shifting between F and R...

So even though I am not envious of the hay acreage....I do covet the shuttle shift and the loader.....but if you saw my homemade box-blade constructed from a dozer blade with rippers and height powered by one of the remotes...we might be even....well not really...:gig:

and my Dodge is currently having the front axle rebuilt.....along with the steering linkage, the sway bar, ball joints, the driveshaft, and the 4WD actuator.....CRAP$$$$!!:mad2:

This is starting to eat into the airplane fund!
I know where you're coming from on the homemade boxblades, I've made many homemade implements. I've had the front axle replaced on one of the 3500's, somehow, someway a spider gear was sheared. It destroyed the housing. :gig:

Turd Ferguson

There is a man near me who has his house/land up for sale. The land has a 2500' grass strip on it and it is listed as an airport. While the idea is very appealing to me, I'd like to know if anyone can enlighten me as to the details of owning an airport (or if you can tell me where to find such answers).
I have a grass strip in MI. According to the conditional use permit, it has to have x operations per yr to maintain it's status. I have a house on the same property. Long before I owned it, there were a few hangars on the property of ajacent land owners and they had access to the runway but I don't know the details.

MI has a private airport owners organization, perhaps you can visit their website and see if the current owner is a member. They can provide very specific information for any of your concerns.

Home Page

island girl

I know of a grass strip airport in SW FL that has been in operation for years. The grass down here is easy to maintain since mowing only really has to be done in the summer months. It's for sale too!!!! 20 acres, some of the best fishing grounds blocks away. Pretty cool place. Maybe someday

M

MyloHaba

It is a cool thing to own your own strip .. yet what the actual costs would be? ... do you guyz have an idea??

There is one for sale with nice land a previsions with it on Pine Island ... maybe the same on island girl is talking about .. yet the is no price tag ...

I think this thread could be way helpful if the guyz who have any info can share it with us ... like how much the real estate would be (average)? ... costs of maintaining .. charges or whatever ... you know .. you have a piece of info even if it is related to another state ... all infos together would help forming up a better idea regarding the whole subject ..

stol

It is a cool thing to own your own strip .. yet what the actual costs would be? ... do you guyz have an idea??

There is one for sale with nice land a previsions with it on Pine Island ... maybe the same on island girl is talking about .. yet the is no price tag ...

I think this thread could be way helpful if the guyz who have any info can share it with us ... like how much the real estate would be (average)? ... costs of maintaining .. charges or whatever ... you know .. you have a piece of info even if it is related to another state ... all infos together would help forming up a better idea regarding the whole subject ..
I have a private grass strip on my ranch...... 3000' long X 100' wide. I will throw in 80 acres and you can have your own private compound to play in.
.6 mil....Haas International 008.jpg

M

MyloHaba

I have a private grass strip on my ranch...... 3000' long X 100' wide. I will throw in 80 acres and you can have your own private compound to play in.
.6 mil....View attachment 21527

Nice offer .. tell you what .. for 5 mil I'll sell you a better deal .. less one hour flying and you get Jerash, Petra, Wadi Rum, Aqaba, The Eastern Castles, ans much much more ... what do you think? :)