Questions about material on Jurca Mustang

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Shayde

And another short question: the frame 202-4, left and right side are the same, correct? And 202-4 left and right shape is the same as longeron 202-4 from the picture below? Many thanks.

Yep, left and right should be the same. I have no idea the source of that second picture so I can't say if that's the same strip.

marianmadalin32

Ah. I don't think that's the kind of glue you want to be using in your homebuilt. You want to be using something like an epoxy.
Silicone is stronger than epoxy. Please read some archives on the basis of strength and resistance to humidity and various forces.

raymondbird

Supporting Member
Silicone is stronger than epoxy. Please read some archives on the basis of strength and resistance to humidity and various forces.
Nobody's buying that. Not for wood anyway. Please tell us where you got that from?
-Jurca builder

Last edited:

wiloows5050

Was it ever actually said to be static or is that just something we made up when he said it was “for display”? Planes at an air show are on display, after all…
I could actually settle this question next year as I will be traveling to Budapest. That’s assuming he is willing to show me his “museum” and not some storage shed were he is collecting parts. If there is no shop to assemble or make parts and no other airplanes than I will report it to the group then everyone can make up their own mind. Maybe someone can do it soon than next year. If legitimate than maybe we should have a little more patience, otherwise he should be left to explore the joys of using his own mind to figure out how to build an airplane.

Dan Thomas

TFF

I believe it’s used in the automotive world for assembling plastic parts like headlight lenses on the case. Halogen bulb heat is the main reason. Potting material too. It doesn’t seem as good for structural the way we use it. Too flexible. Just like everything, it has a place.

marianmadalin32

I believe it’s used in the automotive world for assembling plastic parts like headlight lenses on the case. Halogen bulb heat is the main reason. Potting material too. It doesn’t seem as good for structural the way we use it. Too flexible. Just like everything, it has a place.
Automotive and aeronautics do mean the same way.

marianmadalin32

Yep, left and right should be the same. I have no idea the source of that second picture so I can't say if that's the same strip.
Hmm, seems the 202-2 former shape it is also applied on the 4th shape, not only on 2A and 3rd shape. Is that right ???

Attachments

• 09_0046_MJ-77_202-1 of 2.PDF
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Shayde

Okay, things are clearer now I can see the full sheet rather than bits and pieces.

I can now see the plan for the front bulkhead. So, for clarification, do you know that this...

1664148342133.png

...should be covered front and back with plywood? And that it is filled with foam?

Now, this sheet does show you the cut-outs for the fuselage longerons:

1664148451071.png

Mr Jurca apparently wanted you to cut these out when you actually come to attach everything together, which is why the cut-outs are not in the bulkhead plan.

The spruce strips needs to be attached on notches which I make manually on the first frame in the picture?

So in answer to your question, yep, you manually make the notches on the first frame to match the longerons.

Hmm, seems the 202-2 former shape it is also applied on the 4th shape, not only on 2A and 3rd shape. Is that right ???

Now I've looked at the sheet in its entirety it turns out we both got this wrong. Marcel is merely indicating that the profiles for the pieces are on drawing 202 sheet 2/2. Frame piece 202-2 is only used the once (hence the label "1 piece" below it).

Let me see if I got this right. First I attach the spruce strips ( I found out how to make manual notches). Then, on these strips I put 1/8 ply. Then, on this 1/8 ply I attach the ash parts. Correct ??? Same for both sides.

I tried to make the PDF as clear as I could. I guess not clear enough... 😭

So you have your longerons backed by the Mahogany ply. These stretch back right to the tail.

To prepare the front of the fuselage sides as shown in my PDF, you add two Ash strips between the longerons that will support the next step, which is where you add the Birch plywood. Then the Ash blocks go on top of those. Finally, another piece of Birch ply goes on top of each of the Ash blocks.

This is the same for both sides.

At least this is how I've interpreted it. Standard disclaimer applies. Don't blame this random internet stranger, when putting it all together, you've ended up with a dolls-house instead of a plane. :)

marianmadalin32

Ok. So a quick update on my progress. The first 4 frames : 202-2, 202-2A, 202-2B and 202-3 have already been prepared.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_200335.jpg
    IMG_20220930_200335.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

marianmadalin32

Can anyone check the former 202-4 from the CAD file if it has a correct length according to the PDF original drawing? Many thanks.

Attachments

• 09_0046_MJ-77_202-2 of 2.PDF
    1 MB · Views: 1

marianmadalin32

This is the DXF File:

Please look for 202-4 part only and check if it has a corresponding length according to the PDF original file.

marianmadalin32

And another thing. Can anyone draw for me into a DXF/DWG the shape of that steel plate at the bottom of the arch from the image attached? Including the holes from the plate. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20220927-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220927-WA0000.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0