Questions about material on Jurca Mustang

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

marianmadalin32

I do not understand something and I need an advice from someone who actually built something from the Jurca drawings. The firewall steel plate thickness on the Jurca Mustang is 1 milimeter or 12 milimeters ??? Thanks.

Attachments

• 09_0046_MJ-77_9203- 2 Of 2-2.PDF
    457.8 KB · Views: 4

marianmadalin32

Many thanks for solving this. A bit confused by the conversion between inch and milimeters. So it is basically 0.05 inch ( not 0.50)

marianmadalin32

One more question. The asbestos sheet (the ceramic sheet in my case, because asbestos provokes cancer) what dimensions should have ? The same as the plywood frame (738x737x710 mm) or as the firewall steel plate ???

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
Doesn't sound like a static museum copy anymore.

That blanket will work and is just under 2lb per square foot. I don't think you need the stainless if you use this. It may be designed to put in front of a plywood firewall. Has good ratings.

marianmadalin32

And the adhesive to bind the ceramic sheet to the plywood frame and the firewall steel plate to the ceramic sheet is good ????
Doesn't sound like a static museum copy anymore.

That blanket will work and is just under 2lb per square foot. I don't think you need the stainless if you use this. It may be designed to put in front of a plywood firewall. Has good ratings.
Correct. But I still need that stainless stell too. To add an extra layer of protection.

marianmadalin32

So if I understand correct from the drawing, the first thing to put on top of the plywood frame is the ceramic sheet. And then the steel plate on top of the ceramic sheet. Right???

How do I bind/stick the steel plate to the ceramic sheet? Use rivets or glue? Which is better?

Dana LaBounty

The firewall blanket is redundant with the steel firewall, not required. If there is a fire in the engine compartment the only good option is to get on ground and egress the aircraft. If there is that much fire for that long, you have bigger problems than the airframe catching fire. Build with metal if you are that concerned with fire!

marianmadalin32

I have questions about former frames 2 and 3. On the frame number 3, it's 1.6 mm plywood thickness or 1/6 inch which means 4 mm ply thickness ??? And how do I cover that shape with 1.6 ? From where do I begin and where do I finish ??? On the frame number 2, how do I cover with 1/2 plywood ??? Where do I begin and where do I finish ??? Can someone draw for me parts to better understand how do I cover, when, where etc... ??? Many thanks.

Attachments

• former frame 2 and 3.jpg
    former frame 2 and 3.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 0

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I agree that it's not very clear but I think the key is the note inside frame no. 2 that says "Sides from 3/4" (something) traced on this plan)". I would definitely ask in the Jurca forum to be sure.