• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question on Riveting with Square Tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraythe

Greetings, I am not building an airplane but I recognize the expertise in this community so I was hoping you might be able to help me answer a question. Now I have nothing against the idea of building one, it would be massively fun, but I don't have the expertise and I am only now working on a private pilot's license part time.

Anyway the question I had is from another project I am working on which has frame construction and covering like your aircraft. Basically I am in the planning stages of a home built truck camper and I would like to use aircraft construction techniques to build it not only because of the lightweight and durability but perhaps some day I WILL be able to build my own plane.

What I am interested in is frame construction techniques. Its clear that C channel or box channel is weaker than square or round tube but now I am trying to figure out how I can do riveted construction on a rectangular tube based frame without using pop rivets? Is there some technique to allow the tube to be riveted with solid rivets to the gusset plates that I am missing? Furthermore, if I had to choose between going with C channel and Solid rivets or rectangular tube and blind pop rivets, what would be my best route be to achieve maximum strength? Finally, can blind rivets be used to adhere an aluminum skin to the sub frame or am I better off going with some kind of adhesive (and which kind) or solid rivets? With solid rivets I can put in silicone on the rivet to make it absolutely waterproof but I am not sure if water can get in the hole where the stem in a pop rivet goes through the body of the rivet.

Thanks for your time and allowing me to barge in on you guys.

Back